Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

The Lorne Scots Tam O' Shanter

Article about: I just picked up this fantastic Tam O' Shanter attributed to The Lorne Scots of Canada. This is way out of my collecting area but I find it hard to resist interesting cloth headgear be it Al

?

Default The Lorne Scots Tam O' Shanter

I just picked up this fantastic Tam O' Shanter attributed to The Lorne Scots of Canada. This is way out of my collecting area but I find it hard to resist interesting cloth headgear be it Allies or Axis. The battle honors for the Lorne Scots are impressive; War of 1812, WWI, WWII, Afghanistan. The date on the cap is hard to read but I'm almost certain it's dated 1951. I was able to find a few WWII era images and they are very similar, minus the plume. It's a nice post war addition to the collection.

Regards, Al

The Lorne Scots Tam O' ShanterThe Lorne Scots Tam O' Shanter

Regards, Al

Nice one Al, here's mine from '43 (gap filler incorrect insignia) for comparison.

?

Nice René! I knew you'd dig one up.
    Regards, Al

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Nice René! I knew you'd dig one up.
    Post it up here Al mate - Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

?

Al - That is a great example of Canadian Scottish Regimental headgearl! One small note: A friend in the Canadian Scottish Regiment corrected me when I called his headgear a "Tam O'Shanter". "Reid, the British call them tam o'shanters. We call them balmorals!" The great thing about this hobby is discovering new things!

The color of the bobble/toorie and the hackle are spot on for the Lorne Scots Regiment. The only question I have is about the tartan badge backing. The Lorne Scots were granted the right to wear the Campbell tartan in 1931 by the Duke of Argyll and wear it as their badge backing today. Your black and white photos seem to show that tartan pattern. This might be the McGillivray tartan, worn by the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment or maybe the MacDonnell of Glengarry tartan worn by the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders Regiment. I thought it might be a tartan worn by the LS Pipe and Drums, but they also wear Ancient Campbell. I lean toward the SDG Highlanders Regiment.

The Lorne Scots Tam O' Shanter The Lorne Scots Tam O' Shanter The Lorne Scots Tam O' Shanter

This is an easy fix! A quick search on Ebay for tartan badge backing and Lorne Scots will bring up a swatch.

Good luck with your collecting and I hope this gives you a bug for adding more Scottish regimental headgear to your collection! I would be happy to have the balmoral in my collection, great find!
    Last edited by Reid10; 05-30-2022 at 02:17 PM.