Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

post ww2 Balmoral bonnet?

Article about: I bought this a couple of days ago, it was in a lot of items I bought for about \\$5 Aud. I'm not sure what regiment it's from as its missing its badge sadly, if someone could help I'd appreci

Default post ww2 Balmoral bonnet?

I bought this a couple of days ago, it was in a lot of items I bought for about $5 Aud.
    I'm not sure what regiment it's from as its missing its badge sadly, if someone could help I'd appreciate it very much.
    From reading jerry b's legendary post (WWII British broad arrow letter codes and their meaning) I'm assuming it's dated to 1949.

It could be from any of several regiments that wore these exceptions include that The HLI used a rifle green toorie rather than a red one, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders used a chequered band that was just red and white and The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) cap itself was Rifle Green with a green toorie.

The best thing to do is look for holes corresponding to the lugs of the cap badge. The number of holes, their orientation and distance apart might allow you to match a badge. Obviously you can discount badges of units that did not wear this type of bonnet.

Notice the way the toorie on your example is attached. It looks like a bodge but it is simpye that the wearer was no good at sewing. The explanation is that to clean and press the bonnet (remember this is a parade or at least best dress and not a field item) is extremely difficult so the practice was, and still is, to remove the toorie which was sewn on during manufacture and re-attach it each time. The most common solution is to use a safety pin which allows it to be removed and replaced just like a brooch on a coat!

Given the general condition of this example you should perhaps consider that a genuine period cap badge will cost more than what you have already paid for the bonnet so unless you already have a suitable example I might be inclined to seek out a better bonnet. In UK this type and period without a badge averages mid double figures. Cap badges vary according to regiment and version of badge but it would be an ORs badge in white metal and a Kings Crown (if applicable).

I hope this helps

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-12-2022 at 02:44 PM. Reason: addition
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

thanks Watchdog this helps a lot.