Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

Article about: I have been collecting post-WWII headgear from Scottish units since I attended Aberdeen University as an exchange student in the late 1990s. Since then I have been able to build up a pretty

?

I think that is enough for today. Next I will post my headgear for the Scots Guards and Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, followed by the line units.

?

Mark,

This is exactly the feedback I wanted when I asked for suggestions and advice! Luckily I use "ToS" most of the time in the actual descriptions, but I need to change it to T.O.S. I have some friends who are serving, or served in Scottish regiments, and it seems they were just too nice to correct me. Or just felt bad for the not-so-bright Yank. They did "school me" when I called the Royal Regiment of Scotland "RRS" instead of SCOTS.

I have some changes to make! Unfortunately it will have to be for future posts, since I am not sure how easy it will be to edit the current ones.

If you have any related headgear in your kitbag, it would be great to see it.

Cheers,

Reid

?

As Mark did, if you have any thoughts, ideas, corrections, or suggestions, please let me know. I want to be as accurate as possible with my descriptions.

Thank you for this great presentation! looks like it should be in print!

I have only this one Scottish related post WW2 South African cap, given to me from a former Recce. I don't really know much about it other than it's medical related.
    Edit-- I forgot I'd post it here once before!?!----

Border War South African Scottish Glengarry Cap Medical
    Last edited by reneblacky; 04-02-2021 at 01:08 AM. Reason: added pic & text

An excellent thread and I like the way it's presented. Very good reference for anyone wanting to identify an example.

?

Default I have never seen a Recce Glengarry before

Rene, thank you for posting! If it is for the Recces, then it should be the 7 Medical Battalion Group, which provided, and continues to provide, support to the SF Brigade. However, if we have any South Africans on the forum, I defer to them.

In my collection I have a recce beret, as well as berets for 32 Battalion, 44 Para Brigade, and 1 Para Battalion. However, I have never seen a Recce glengarry! I thought it might be for a piper, but I would think the badge would be different. I want to look up the tartan badge backing, because I do not recognize it. Clearly I need to do some research. Always learning.

I also collect SA headgear (Airborne and SOF are my main area outside of Scottish headgear), but it is becoming harder and harder to find (and expensive).

I have not had a chance to catalogue my SA headgear in the same format as my Scottish headgear yet, but below are some pictures. I have a TOS for the Cape Town Highlanders and 1st City Regiments and a glengarry for the Transvaal Scottish. I think I need to get them catalogued next, so I can post them.

I want to find TOS/glengarries/balmorals for the Pretoria Highlanders, Witwatersrand Rifles, other SA Scottish units, especially now that the names of several of the units have been changed and they have gone to wearing the generic green beret. Again, expensive and hard to get outside of SA.

Thank you again for posting! One of a kind glengarry. Some of my rarest headgear was given to me or acquired during a beret exchange during a deployment. You did well.

Regards,

Reid

Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth) Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth) Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

?

Royal Scots Dragoon Guards and Scots Guards Headgear.

I still have a few to acquire in this category (SG peaked cap and NCO beret).

I have been looking for the Drummer Balmoral for a long time, but they are extremely expensive. More than most WWII TOS.

?

Default Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Beret

?

Default Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Peaked Cap

I still need to add the black felt square behind the badge.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast