Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

Article about: I have been collecting post-WWII headgear from Scottish units since I attended Aberdeen University as an exchange student in the late 1990s. Since then I have been able to build up a pretty

?

Default Scots Guards Officer Service Dress Cap

The label is very faded and even by getting it damp it is not legible. I have tried looking for similar labels on other headgear, but with no luck. If I finally can make an educated guess, I will update the post. I assess 1950s to 1960s based on period photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)   Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)  

Last edited by Reid10; 04-03-2021 at 12:54 PM.

?

Default Scots Guards Officer Beret

This beret came with several postcards of Scottish Regiments sent to the owner when they were at boarding school in the 1940s. I carefully tucked the cards away...and cannot find them. Once I do, I will post pictures of the cards. I always like when I have the name of the owner. I feel my British colleagues are much better at being able to find the owner through registries, promotion lists, etc., but I am learning. Much of my headgear collection shows use. I prefer this since I feel they have more of a story. We (U.S.) do not often put our names in our headgear, likely because there is not anywhere to do so. (Our berets do not have linings) I cut the label tag out when I shape my berets. Now, the British maroon beret with the small crown is much smarter than ours, so I may purchase one of those instead in the future. When we shape ours, the loose fabric can hang down over your right ear. Again, I think not as smart looking.

- - ------- - -

The following are three examples of Scots Guards Other Ranks Berets. (Issued and Private Purchase)

?

Default Issued Scots Guards Other Ranks Beret

?

Default Private Purchase Compton Webb Scots Guards Other Ranks Beret

?

Default Scots Guards Other Ranks Beret

I lean toward this being a private purchase beret. However, I have seen examples that look similar and were issued.

I should take all of my headgear, and do some online research, to create a guide for dating headgear. As Jerry B. said in this forum once, dating Glengarries is very difficult if they do not have a period badge (that was never take off), made from certain materials (leather band, all wool) or markings that provide a date. It can be very difficult to date headgear, which is why much of my collection has a date range. If it has a NSN, it is post 1970, but when exactly? If it is a TOS, you have to look for the size of the crown, material used, and the badge.

?

Next I will post my headgear from the Scottish/Highland line infantry units. Some still need to be put into this format, so it might take a day or so.

?

Default 1st Battalion, Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders Tam O’ Shanter

?

Default 1st Battalion, Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders Balmoral

I was at first leery of this Balmoral. The markings and badge were correct, but normally they have a black rosette. The Black Watch had a blue Balmoral with just the red hackle and no rosette. I thought someone added the badge at one time to a BW Balmoral, but the badge has been attached for a long time. Also, I had not heard of manufacturer MACPAK. However, I contacted some of my friends in Scotland that are dealers of British headgear and they confirmed the Balmoral was genuine. I hope to add the glengarry to my collection one day.
    Last edited by Reid10; 04-04-2021 at 12:52 PM.

?

Default 1st Battalion, Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons) Tam O’ Shanter

This has an odd attachment for the badge. The backplate is correct and the lugs, but my other Highlanders TOS does not use metal clasps.

?

Default 1st Battalion, Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons) Glengarry

There are several holes where the badge attaches, which might mean there was once a different badge. However, it is the right glengarry for The Highlanders and I do not know of other units that use a plain blue glengarry with a rosette and red toorie.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast