Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

Article about: I have been collecting post-WWII headgear from Scottish units since I attended Aberdeen University as an exchange student in the late 1990s. Since then I have been able to build up a pretty

?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Roger that,

I live close to a major garrison which has many "other unit" pers apart from the units actually stationed there and my wife is manager of the garrison officers mess which caters to all the "odds and sods" plus Bde and Div staff pers so there might be a lead there. If not, I still know one or two stones to look under!

As I say it might just be that I never saw it or that it was deliberately eschewed by the regiment (British COs at Bn level do have that kind of lattitude in many areas) but the only recollection I have of RHF pipers is of them wearing a blue glengarry in any undress uniform. Standby!

As for the Royal Scots ( now 1 SCOTS due to seniority!) pipers the tartan on their TOS is Royal Stewart the same as the pipe bags and banners as well as kilts and plaids. Of course the Drummers etc and Rifle Companies wear Hunting Stewart.

During my service it used to baffle some of the Jocks that a Sassenach (that's not actually the correct term for the English but most Scots don't even know that!!!) knew as much, even more in some cases than they did but I had been following the hobby since my early teens.

Regards

Mark
    Mark,

I am looking forward to what you find out. I try to always do as much of my own research first, but I have hit a bit of a wall with this one.

I did not ever hear any of my Scot friends at Uni refer to our English friends as "Sassenach". I did however see them give our English mates a lot of grief when I wore my kilt to the St. Andrews Ball and they wore tuxedos. They stuck out...a bit.

I wish I had your access to a British garrison. However, I am lucky to have a friend stationed near London who I can ship items to. He drops them in the U.S. military post and saves me a lot on shipping. I might contact 1 SCOTS someday and see if they can point me toward how to purchase one of their Piper TOS we were talking about.

Regards,

Reid

?

If I may, here are three officer caps for the Royal Scots Greys & Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.
    RSG & RSDG dress visor caps & a colonel/brigadier service dress cap for either regiment.

BobSPost-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

?

Quote by BobS View Post
    If I may, here are three officer caps for the Royal Scots Greys & Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.
    RSG & RSDG dress visor caps & a colonel/brigadier service dress cap for either regiment.

BobSPost-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)
    Bob, thank you very much for posting. It is a great addition to the thread and very valuable for reference, something I hoped the thread could be used for when I first posted.

I have rarely seen Officer peaked caps for the Royal Scots Greys. I think they, and their successor the RSDG, have one of the most, if not the most, unique headgear patterns (zigzag "vandyk" band) and when I see a SD cap with no badge, I always look for black piping. (So far no luck.) For a unit that was only amalgamated in 1971, it's headgear seems more rare than those from units amalgamated decades earlier. I have only seen one RSG beret for sale and it had mothing and other damage, yet still sold for a high price. To have three examples is pretty amazing.

Thank you again

Reid

?

Thanks for the kind words.
    I bought my first British visor cap at Herbert Johnson's London Store in 1976 ( Queens Own Hussars) and I still have it.
    Indeed, the RSG cap took me until 2019 to find one &, ironically from a US dealer.
    I collect officer caps, primarily to the cavalry & Guards and have lately been concentrating on WWII or earlier caps.
    I'm up to 45 caps & really out of room, but the search goes on.

BobS

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I have only this one Scottish related post WW2 South African cap, given to me from a former Recce. I don't really know much about it other than it's medical related.
    Edit-- I forgot I'd post it here once before!?!----

Border War South African Scottish Glengarry Cap Medical
    Rene, after more research I was absolutely wrong. This is not a recce glengarry, but instead is worn by the South African 1 Medical Battalion Group. A search for, "red glengarry south africa" led me to this site:

Roll Call: 1 Medical Battalion Group – Memories of the Cape Town Military Tattoo

From the site:

"When the new South African Medical Corps was established in 1913, the Natal medics provided three field ambulance units. 1 Medical Battalion Group (the name dates from 1981) has a strong Scottish connection. It wears a flash of McKenzie tartan behind its headdress badges, is partly kilted and maintains a well-regarded pipe band."

?

Not a problem, Rene! Now there are two chances to see it.

?

Almost forgot! A very impressive collection & presentation.

BobS

?

Quote by BobS View Post
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I bought my first British visor cap at Herbert Johnson's London Store in 1976 ( Queens Own Hussars) and I still have it.
    Indeed, the RSG cap took me until 2019 to find one &, ironically from a US dealer.
    I collect officer caps, primarily to the cavalry & Guards and have lately been concentrating on WWII or earlier caps.
    I'm up to 45 caps & really out of room, but the search goes on.

BobS
    You have given me hope, BobS. I will continue to keep my eye out.

I started off collecting post-WWII berets, TOS, and glengarries for several reasons. Cost, ease of storage (military moved us around every few years), and I related more to the soldiers that wore them, since I served alongside British and Commonwealth personnel. Several have sentimental value, because they were exchanged or gifts. However, as I have become older, and have more disposable income, I have been working my way backward. I just recently acquired a Seaforth Highlanders SNCO private purchase TOS from the 1950s. It is on its way from the UK and I will post pictures once it arrives.

When I was young, berets from Vietnam were cheap, as were Russian and East German items. Now the prices are almost ridiculous for some items. I think we may see the same for the Scottish regiments, especially after the amalgamation and the loss of distinctive tartans and cap badges. Somethings are already becoming scarce.

Again, thank you for your post BobS, and please post any other items you have when you can. As I said before, they are great for reference.

Quote by Reid10 View Post
    Not a problem, Rene! Now there are two chances to see it.
    Cheers Reid Thanks for the info Mate.

?

Default Gordon Highlanders Regiment Other Ranks Tam O’ Shanter

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast