Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

Article about: I have been collecting post-WWII headgear from Scottish units since I attended Aberdeen University as an exchange student in the late 1990s. Since then I have been able to build up a pretty

?

Default Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

I have been collecting post-WWII headgear from Scottish units since I attended Aberdeen University as an exchange student in the late 1990s. Since then I have been able to build up a pretty decent collection from buying, trading, and receiving as gifts headgear for Scottish line and support elements. I have also acquired a few Commonwealth tams and glengarries, especially from South Africa. I have been a stalker on the war relics forum for several months and have learned a lot from forum members such as Jerry B., Mark Holden, and many others.

I am going to post my collection on this thread and hope it can be a place to discuss post-WWII Scottish headgear. The format I use probably shows too much influence from my time as a Staff Officer, but it works for cataloguing my collection. You may see some redundancy in part of the description, but that is because each example is meant to stand on its own.

Please let me know if you see any errors or have suggestions on how to improve the format. Also, do not hesitate to post your own collections. W.H. and K.D Bloomer's book provides an idea of the units and their badges, but not how they were worn.

Cheers

Reid W.

?

Looking forward to seeing your collection!

I attend Aberdeen university as of this very moment! Did you go to OTC?

?

Default 32 Signal Regiment OR Glengarry

- - ------- - -

?

I wasn't in the OTC, since I was an exchange student, but I was in the U.S. version (ROTC) and commissioned soon after returning from Scotland. However, as an alumni and soldier, I keep an eye on what Aberdeen's OTC is up to. RQM Wills just sent me one of your tams this week. Small world!

When do you graduate?

?

Default 32 Signal Regiment OR Tam O' Shanter

?

Default 32 Signal Regiment OR Beret

?

Default 19 (Highland Gunners) Regiment Royal Artillery Beret

?

Default 204 (Tyneside Scottish) Battery Royal Artillery Tam O’ Shanter

?

PM you

Great thread, I like it. As a regular soldier of 24 years I served beside every Scottish infantry and Cavalry regiment at one time or another with the exception of the Gordon Highlanders but did encounter them too here and there at company level. I did at one point gather a full set of headress from "The Magnificent Seven" (there were seven regiments in the Scottish Division at the time) but these were more souvenirs of service rather than a part of my collection proper and they have since moved on as most of my British interest lies further back in time. Most British units have particular differences, distinctions and traditions though the "Jocks" do tend to have a certain "cachet" but don't tell them I said that as I am an English archetype!

Just a small point of order though, the bonnet that falls somewhere between the Glengarry cap and Balmoral bonnet is called the Tam O'Shanter of course but nobody in a Scottish Regiment who takes the culture seriously would ever call it that and much less a "Tam".
    To a "Jock" in a regular regiment it is simply styled "T.O.S" and anyone who calls it otherwise is clearly not "in the know" and is regarded with anything from mild condescending humour through derision to actual disdain. Something I learned very early on. Apt use of the vernacular is almost a foot in the door

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast