Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Régiment Blindé de Fusiliers-Marins tam o'shanter???

Article about: I found this Canadian-made, 1943-dated tam o shanter in a thrift store. Now, I’m a little perplexed by the very naval-looking badge on it. After much searching, it appears to not be Canadi

Default Régiment Blindé de Fusiliers-Marins tam o'shanter???

I found this Canadian-made, 1943-dated tam o shanter in a thrift store. Now, I’m a little perplexed by the very naval-looking badge on it. After much searching, it appears to not be Canadian or even British, but rather the badge of the French Régiment Blindé de Fusiliers-Marins. This would go along with the tricolor ribbon on the cap, which is another oddity. Now, my question - is there any record of the RBFM ever wearing tam o shanters?

Hi Hallibag,

I’m not familiar with the Régiment Blindé de Fusiliers-Marins, but I have had a search and found a few bits. There are plenty of period photos of troops wearing all sorts of uniforms, including a couple of different coloured tam o shanters (black and white pictures of course).

Regiment Blinde de Fusiliers-Marins – Mike's Research

http://archives.ecpad.fr/le-rbfm-de-...ns-les-vosges/

Parcours de vie dans la Royale / Fusiliers Marins

Here’s a really good YouTube channel I’m subbed to, that happens to cover the history.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3dby5kVM2C0&vl=en

I hope this helps.

Thank you, Willmore! I had found some of the photos you linked to in my searches, but thought I was seeing French sailors’ caps, not Scottish tam o’shanters. Looking again closely, perhaps there was a mix of both types of headgear?

That’s what I’m thinking too, like I say I’m not to knowledgeable on the Régiment Blindé de Fusiliers-Marins. I do know the french were supplied with a mix of British and American equipment and uniforms both during and after the war, so I’m guessing this is why there is so much variety in period photos. I’m wondering if one company would have been issued this type of headwear, appose to a tradition beret or french sailors cap.
    An example I can think of would be the crazy array of uniforms and equipment worn by the French forces in indochina, often they would use a mix of British, American and french uniforms, equipment and weapons.

Glad we’re in agreement. Thanks again, Willmore.