Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Reconnaissance Corps beret

Article about: I just added this one and was very pleased to find it in such good condition. The white metal cap badge is as worn by Scottish units rather than the standard all brass version. I just need t

Default Reconnaissance Corps beret

I just added this one and was very pleased to find it in such good condition.

The white metal cap badge is as worn by Scottish units rather than the standard all brass version.

I just need to find a (genuine!!) white metal with central rose flower as worn by Yorkshire units but they are ultra rare

Regards

Mark
    Reconnaissance Corps beretReconnaissance Corps beretReconnaissance Corps beretReconnaissance Corps beretReconnaissance Corps beretReconnaissance Corps beretReconnaissance Corps beret

CAVEAT
    Following discussion with a respected fellow member Jerry B, I feel I should point out that whilst The Reconnaissance Corps was in existence until disbandment in 1946 it was absorbed into The Royal Armoured Corps in 1944 at which point the black RAC beret with Recce Corps badge was indicated.
    However, the change did not happen overnight or even all at once and the khaki beret did continue in use at least until early 1945 in some units.

As this example is 1945 dated I doubt it could have made it as far as a soldiers head before the change was complete. As this example has virtually no sign of being worn only the patina of age I wonder if it might have belonged to a veteran who used it on Remembrance parades etc? It did come from Scotland so the white metal badge is perhaps appropriate.

Regardless of whether it saw active service it stands as a good example of an authentic item. Alternatively, the khaki beret was worn by some (motorised) infantry units so to change the cap badge would not be out of order given that there is no provenance to be considered.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-11-2022 at 12:49 PM. Reason: addition
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

A very nice beret and badge Mark. A genuine Yorkshire Unit badge is on sale with Regimental Badges, Regimental Badges. I think the price is £1150!

Quote by PembrokeYeo View Post
    A very nice beret and badge Mark. A genuine Yorkshire Unit badge is on sale with Regimental Badges, Regimental Badges. I think the price is £1150!
    Yes I have seen that one and at that price he can whistle!

I is a rare badge but there are others further up my wants list! I have a good looking repro which will do as a gap filler until I win the Lottery

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."