MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Royal Air Force Uniform Caps, Hats and Helmets

Article about: Hi, This is intended to be a sister thread to my thread on British Army Visor Caps. Like the Army thread, it is open to anyone who would like to comment on or show RAF uniform headdress or a

?

Love the caps and great to see some good headgear all together. Having issues with my laptop but once it's working again I shall put up pictures on my RAF headdress I have. All the best

Ah - long answer but easy to sort out - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis..._Training_Plan

Now some RAAF caps and hats.

AO 450 This is a very early RAAF Air Officers Dress visor cap. The cap is named to Air Vice Marshal EH Daley Chief Medical Officer for the RAAF. The cap badge although identical in style to those worn by RAF Air Officers, differs in the field colour which is dark blue for the RAAF and black for the RAF. AVM Daley can be seen on a tour of inspection possibly in Korea?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Air Force Uniform Caps, Hats and Helmets  

Some more RAAF items.

JO 600 RAAF Number 1 Dress visor cap worn by all commissioned rank up to Wing Commander. This cap belonged to a serving Group Captain Engineering Officer.

SO 553 Unisex Female Group Captain's Number 1 Dress visor cap. Between Female and Male caps, the only difference is the size of the cap badge which in the case of the female is slightly smaller. As is the case with RAF Group Captains, the embellishment around the outer edge of the visor comprises an arc of oak leaves.

SO 554 Current Female Group Captain's Number 1 Dress hat with an applied arc of oak leaves and small cap badge.

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Not a cap etc.. but I have to add in a NZ badge
    Lovely badge Rene. As of late, I've added a few SAAF cap badges and collar dogs to my collection, still looking for a RAAF and a RNZAF badge. My RCAF collection is slowly becoming a Commonwealth Air Force collection.

?

Removed duplicate post.

A minor change but none-the-less an RAF satellite organization:

F 502 Air Force Department Fire Service (AFDFS) Junior Ranks visor cap (No badge yet).

F 503 Senior Officer of the AFDFS.

F 504 Assistant Chief Fire Officer AFDFS.

F 505 Chief Fire Officer AFDFS.

Hi, Back to RAF Visor Caps.

JO 39 Chaplain's cap for wear by Chaplains in the relative ranks up to Wing Commander inclusive. This cap device was worn by all chaplains of the Christian faiths regardless of the relative rank held. The badge is now obsolete and the RAF Officer pattern badges are worn relative to the rank held. This particular cap dates back to the 1970s or slightly earlier and was made at Changi, which was, prior to the British draw down, the major air head for the Far East Air Force (FEAF)

JO 431 Full Dress cap worn by all Directors of Music. These caps, although of Government issue, are individually manufactured and can be found with a number of variations. The most obvious variation being the use of black piping to the cap crown. These are the only RAF visor caps to employ other than blue/grey piping. However, some caps appear with blue/grey rather than black. There is no regulation reason for this and these caps should be treated as variations. This particular cap has blue/grey piping!

JO 413 Early named RAF Officer's cap with a pre 1953 KC cap badge. In my opinion, this is probably early 1950s rather than WWII?

JO 430 Officer's cap of WWII or possibly earlier use.

Hi All, Whilst sitting in front of my computer and contemplating my navel, I was wondering what I could do to stimulate a bit more interest in this thread? Given that not everyone is as anal as me and does not sit on the loo reading Dress Regulations perhaps it may be useful to illustrate the different uniforms described when giving details of caps. For instance, what is the difference between Officer's Number 1 and 1A dress. So. in order to fill these two little gaps, I have decided to have a first stab and show the Officer's 1A Full Dress Uniform with cap. Your opinions and comments are, as always, more than welcome.

U 228 RAF Officer's Number 1A Full Dress Uniform. The photo shows the FD uniform as worn by an Air Chief Marshal. The uniform is worn with black Oxford shoes and full size medals, honours and orders. This uniform is restricted for wear to Marshals only, that is Air Vice Marshal, Air Marshal, Air Chief Marshal and Marshal of the RAF. However, Air Commodores holding certain appointments are also given dispensation to wear 1A Dress. The appointments include Directors of the WRAF (obsolete), Nursing Services (PMRAFNS) and Commandant of the RAF College.

The Aiguilette in wear is for Officers holding specific appointments to HM Queen Elizabeth. This is indicated by the use of the Royal Cypher on the aiguilette tags. This aiguilette takes precedence over all others.

Shoulder boards are always worn with 1A Full Dress and in this case the Royal Cypher in full size is worn in conjunction with the aiguilette to show the wearer's current appointment to the Monarch. On relinquishing the appointment, a miniature version may be worn.

Most Officers possess at least two Number 1 Dress uniforms and an easy way to tell that this is a Number 1A uniform, is the lack of medal ribbons as only the actual medal bar is worn. Although very hard to see, there are pin loops very neatly sewn into the jacket beneath the pilot brevet.

The Air Officer's sash is worn and sword is carried as part of the Number 1A Dress ensemble.

Back to business or should I say hats? We can try some Warrant Officer's caps.

WO 359 Warrant Officer's Number 1 Home Dress (No1 HD) cap of pre 1953 vintage. The cap badge is finished in gilded brass and comprises an open wreath of four laurel leaves surmounted by the RAF Eagle looking to its and the wearer's left. Ensigning the eagle is the King's Crown with velvet red cushions.

WO 462 Ceremonial Full Dress cap of a WO Band Master. To distinguish the cap from those worn by all Other Ranks Musicians, the visor of the cap has an arc of plain gold wire embroidery around the outer edge. The cap badge is identical to the standard WO cap badge but fully embroidered in gold wire on a shaped black Melton cloth field. The badge is very similar to that worn by Officers varying only in the eagle, which for officers is finished in gilded metal. Unlike the cap worn by Directors of Music, the crown piping is always in blue/grey and not black.

WO 468 No1 HD cap often referred to a the "big hat" is dated 1953 and was probably worn with a KC badge initially whilst awaiting stocks of the QC gilded brass badge. In addition to the cap size, the oval stamp on the internal leather cap band, has the RAF Stores Section Code for RAF Clothing "22". "F" is the RAF Sub Section for blue uniform and the four digits signify the item RAF Domestic Reference Number. The lower number is the provisioning contract number.

WO 469 Duty cap for an RAF Police WO. All ranks of the RAFP up to WO inclusive wear this cap with the badge relative to their rank. In this case the standard full size cap badge finished in gold coloured anodised aluminum. The cap is always worn in conjunction with either the duty armlet or shoulder slides both with the initials "RAFP" in black lettering on a red band outlined in black In addition to the RAF Section and Sub Section numbers, the label in this cap also has the thirteen digit NATO Stock Number (NSN) "8405" is the NATO code for clothing, "99" signifies a British provisioned item (not necessarily British made) and the last seven digits represent the individual item reference number.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast