Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Royal Air Force Uniform Caps, Hats and Helmets

Article about: Hi, This is intended to be a sister thread to my thread on British Army Visor Caps. Like the Army thread, it is open to anyone who would like to comment on or show RAF uniform headdress or a

A bit of variety.

OR 464 Cadet NCO Aircrew cap. The cap is the standard T72 pattern with the black cap band replaced with a white one. The badge is the standard embroidered cap badge

JO 478 Cadet Officer's cap and badge of standard pattern but with the cap band replaced with a white band.

JO 332 All ranks blue/black beret for an Officer of the ROC. the badge is in gilded metal with burnished highlights.

SO 445 Observer Captain (Group Captain) of the ROC. Standard pattern Group Captain's cap but with a gold wire and gilt metal cap device replacing the RAF Officer's badge The owner was probably a retired Group Captain

And a couple more.

AO 346 All Ranks issue beret wearing the miniature beret and FSC embroidered Air Officer's badge with the QC

AO 393 RCAF "General's" cap of very similar type to caps worn by RAF Air Rank Officers. I put the cap badge on this cap but I do not know if it is of contemporary pattern with the cap? Your opinions would be appreciated and if possible, an illustration of the correct badge would also be appreciated please.

Second pair of hats

C 500 Possibly WWII or more likely pre 1953. This cap and badge was worn by civilian MT drivers usually when driving staff cars etc. The badge is in brass and of almost identical pattern to that worn on the early beret and FSC by officers and on the FSC by WOs. The QC version was still a catalogued badge as late as circa the 90's and may still be extant.

JO 344 1950 dated all ranks beret bearing a miniature officer's pattern badge in gilded metal with the KC.

Sorry Michael I was going to post my RAAF uniforms over the next few days but can't as my Wife's old man passed away today! RIP

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi, Today, I thought that some perhaps, out of the ordinary items of headdress, may be of interest?

Attachment 1019383

OR 327 Other Ranks No1 Service Dress cap of 1950's vintage. This cap is badged for an Apprentice or Boy Entrant of Number 3 Radio School at RAF Locking. The School is identified by the replacement of the standard black cap band with a band of double dicing in brown and white. These bands were employed in a variety of mixed and plain colours by the various RAF training establishments to identify either the school, wing or trade etc. The brass OR badge is mounted on a coloured disc, usually used to designate the squadron or trade branch within the school.

Attachment 1019384

Attachment 1019385

OR 337 and OR 338 All ranks general service berets. Both are badged to Number 4 School of Technical Training at RAF Hereford. On the SD cap the school was identified by the wear of a red over white cap band of identical pattern to that shown above. The coloured discs were employed on both the cap and beret and represented, light blue, Number 1 Squadron, trainee Clerks Secretarial and yellow, Number 2 Squadron trainee Chefs. Number 3 Squadron wore the discs in grass green for trainee Suppliers General.

Attachment 1019387

OR 608 An unofficial baseball style cap worn by members of the RAF Police based at RAF Coltishall. This particular cap was used by a Corporal as can be seen by the imprint of his metal rank insigna above the embroidered title on the cap
    With the disc's this is not necessarily so, the coloured discs themselves usually meant that you were on some type of training, either basic, trade or further training. They cannot be said to have been used at a specific squadron or unit.
    "Per Ardua"

Hi PaulP, Thank you for your message and observations. Messages like yours are exactly why I spend my time on these threads!!! They open up avenues for discussion and more importantly learning. With the utmost respect, I agree with you but only to a point. Your last sentence is not correct. The RAF School of Recruit Training use or used a grey disc to designate the recruits attending that school (a unit). The RAF College use a white disc for the same purpose, again a unit. As an RAF Apprentice at RAF Hereford in the 1960's (Yes I am that old!!) I wore a Green disc on both my headdress and sleeve to designate me as both an Apprentice and a member of Number 3 Squadron of the Apprentice Wing. I wore a Red and White diced cap band denoting the School of Technical Training (RAF Hereford). Whilst we all wore the cap band, Number 1 Squadron wore light blue discs and Number 2 Squadron wore bright yellow discs. Other appendages were worn to denote apprentice ranks but not seniority. Hope that this makes sence and that we can agree???

With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael "Through Adversity"

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi PaulP, Thank you for your message and observations. Messages like yours are exactly why I spend my time on these threads!!! They open up avenues for discussion and more importantly learning. With the utmost respect, I agree with you but only to a point. Your last sentence is not correct. The RAF School of Recruit Training use or used a grey disc to designate the recruits attending that school (a unit). The RAF College use a white disc for the same purpose, again a unit. As an RAF Apprentice at RAF Hereford in the 1960's (Yes I am that old!!) I wore a Green disc on both my headdress and sleeve to designate me as both an Apprentice and a member of Number 3 Squadron of the Apprentice Wing. I wore a Red and White diced cap band denoting the School of Technical Training (RAF Hereford). Whilst we all wore the cap band, Number 1 Squadron wore light blue discs and Number 2 Squadron wore bright yellow discs. Other appendages were worn to denote apprentice ranks but not seniority. Hope that this makes sence and that we can agree???

With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael "Through Adversity"
    The RAF School of Recruit Training, in 1986 at least, at RAF Swinderby definitely used green and yellow discs, well they did when I was there. We also had to purchase a matching scarf from the DI's for a princely price of £1, to match the disc, made from an old towel. I'll try and dig out a picture tonight ...

We were also given these discs at RAF St. Athan 88 - 89 ish for driver training, although we didn't wear them as a matter of pride more than anything ....
    Last edited by paulp4180; 12-01-2016 at 02:47 PM.
    "Per Ardua"

Just to back up with evidence this is a photo of RAF recruit training RAF Swinderby circa '89, (Not me btw!)

These are obviously red discs, but there was also yellow, blue and green if I recall, as I said I'll try and dig my photo's out later.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Air Force Uniform Caps, Hats and Helmets  
    "Per Ardua"

Hi PaulP, Thank you for your messages and photo. Yes, I accept everything that you say except your statement "They cannot be said to have been used at a specific squadron or unit." as I know from experience that the discs were and probably still are used to identify both squadrons and units. Shall we agree to differ?

From your logo, I am assuming that you were a "Rock"? If you have any spare kit, badges etc., do you want to sell them???

Cheers Michael

I will agree to differ and yes I was a Rock. Not certain what I have left badge wise, to be honest, I framed all my cap badges etc with my medals, so at least my kids get something to keep. I'll have a look through when I have a look for the photo's and see what I have ... I'll let you know.
    "Per Ardua"

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast