Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Article about: Hi As a follow up and sister thread to my previous threads on caps and hats of the British Army and of the Royal Air Force, I thought that it would be fitting to show some Royal Navy (RN) he

Hi All, A few more.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

JO 275 Rare RN Transport Junior Officer's cap of WWI vintage. Unfortunately, the cap is neither named, initialed nor ranked. A point of interest on the cap badge is that the anchor is gold and not silver. Silver was reserved for RN Line Officers whilst gold was worn by service officers.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

FO 301 Un named Flag Officer's cap of current pattern with a QC cap badge.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 296 Very early, possibly Victorian? Senior Officer's cap. The cap badge is Edwardian or possibly George V and once again, the anchor is in gold not silver. The visor embellishment is the principal point of interest for this cap. Plain gold banding was introduced for all naval Flag and Senior Officers in 1856. For Line Officers, this was amended to oak leaves in 1860 and for all other officers in 1918. This is probably the rarest Naval cap in my collection and one of my favorites. The cap, worn by Commanders, Captains and Commodores is named to SW Vasey.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

JO 263 Un named RN Chaplain's cap of current pattern and minus the cloth covered and embellished visor of the cap shown above.

Hi, A couple of Canadian caps and admirals caps

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 289 Naval Senior Officer's cap of the Royal Canadian Navy or possible a Canadian made cap purchased and worn by an RN Officer? The cap is of high quality and private purchased, made by Totem of Vancouver Canada. The cap is not named and wears a QC cap badge.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 305 A similar cap made by the Muir Cap and Regalia Company Ltd of Toronto Canada. This cap, again un named, is of earlier vintage with a KC cap badge and is probably WWII in origin?

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

FO 302 WWI Flag Officer's cap worn by and named to Admiral Bentinck John Davies YELVERTON. born 28 October 1862 and died 7 January 1959.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

FO 303 BJD Yelverton's second cap. He commanded several Battleships and other ships and establishments and earned glowing reports from a variety of Flag Officers. Promoted Rear Admiral in 1915, he went on to subsequent promotions to Vice Admiral in 1919 and Admiral in 1924.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Admiral Bentinck John Davies Yelverton in full uniform with cap and white cloth cover. Which cap is he wearing?? Number 303 in my opinion!!

Today, a selection of named pre 1953 Senior Officer's caps.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

309 WWII period Commander, Captain or Commodore cap named to Ian Collin Thorpe.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 310 Similar period cap also applicable to the three Senior Officer ranks detailed above. This cap is named to I M Clegg and was supplied by Gieves of London. Their label bears the arms of HM the King (Probably George V) and the Prince of Wales (Later King Edward VIII)

Footnote to SO 310. The only IM Clegg that I have been able to find is one Ian Mosley Clegg who was made a Commander Of the Victorian Order (CVO) and also appointed Naval ADC to HM Queen Elizabeth. He earned a Mentioned in Despatches (MID) for his duties with the Gibraltar/Malta Convoys in 1942 and a further MID in 1943. However, I can not say categorically that he was the owner of the cap?

And a couple more.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 307 Senior Officer's cap again of WWII vintage, worn by and named to "Ross". The only Ross that I could find of that period is George Campbell Ross who was promoted to Commander in 1932 Captain in 1943 and Rear Admiral in 1949. I have my doubts that this is the Ross concerned principally because the cap badge is all metal and of the War Economy type. Given that he was promoted in 1932 to Commander, he would have worn an embroidered badge unless of course this is a replacement cap?

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 312 Again, a WWII period cap and named to E A May. Although I found several Naval Officers with this surname, none had the initials "EA"? This is a high quality cap supplied by James Forsyth(St Albans) Ltd. as can be seen from the cap logo.

An RN WO and some RM caps.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

WO 667 RN Fleet Chief Petty Officer's Visor cap. Both the rank and the cap badge are now obsolete and have been superseded by the new rank of Warrant Officer Class 1 complete with a new badge. The Rank WO1 must not be confused with the old RN rank of Commissioned Warrant Officer. The old badge for a FCPO follows the lines of the PO and CPO badges but the current new pattern WO badge is more inclined towards the Officer's style badge.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

OR527 RM Bandsman's Dress cap badged to what I believe to be the Royal Yacht Britannia band?

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

OR 529 Very early QEII badged Royal Marines Other Rank No1 Dress cap. The cap has a heavy duty leather inner band and is dated 1954.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

OR 624 Current RM Musician's Full Dress helmet.
    Last edited by Michael Ryan; 12-14-2016 at 12:41 PM.

?

Default My ww2 R.N commanders cap

Here's my commanders cap from the ww2 period I would guess. Looks to be a 'Gieves' made cap and there is a name on the leather sweatband however sadly cant make it out. The badge is bullion made and has gone green to one side so probably has been out to sea.

Also if anyone can help me I'm looking to purchase a R.N admirals visor cap for my collection ether from ww1 or ww2. So if anyone knows or has any for sale would be very interested.

Royal Navy Caps and HatsRoyal Navy Caps and HatsRoyal Navy Caps and HatsRoyal Navy Caps and HatsRoyal Navy Caps and Hats

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast