Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Article about: Hi As a follow up and sister thread to my previous threads on caps and hats of the British Army and of the Royal Air Force, I thought that it would be fitting to show some Royal Navy (RN) he

Hi Mgn, Do you have a name? Many thanks for your latest post and photos. A very fine well worn senior officer's cap, again one which I would have no hesitation in buying!! The name looks like C or G Love or possibly Clover or Glover. Have you tried a UV lamp?

Cheers Michael

?

Sadly I dont have a UV light available but I may invest in one as that seems like a good idea. Thanks for the advice.

?

Very beautiful cap. I have tried to enhance the photo and the name looks like R. Clover to me.
    Would that make sense?

Re an Admirals cap.... me too :-)

?

Yeah that may work. I bought it a couple of years ago and only noticed the name around 5 months ago :/

R.e. Admirals cap, air rank caps are so hard to find period ones and unmessed with.

Hi Oliver and Mgn, I have been doing a bit of digging but can only find three possibilities so far these are:
    1. I R Clover Commander DOB Feb 1897 and DO Appointment 1916. In his 40's in WWII which would be about right?
    2. C T Clover Captain Engineer DOB Jan 1887 and DO Appointment 1907. In his 50's in WWII which would be about right?
    3. N Clover Captain DOB Jan 1888 and DO Appointment 1903. In his 50's in WWII which would be about right?

If his name is Clover then he could well be any one of the above. It all depends on what may show on a UV light. Do you know any Policemen? They use UV's and may help you? As For "Love" no luck. And Glover only one found so far:

4. PF Glover Captain DOB Feb 1894 and DO Appointment 1907. In his 40's in WWII which would be about right?

If I think of or find anything more, I will let you know.

Cheers Michael

Today some Junior Officer's caps.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

JO 264 Junior Male Officer's visor cap. Until 1982, only females were permitted in the PMRAFNS and in 1995 the rank structure for Nursing Officers was amended to reflect RN commissioned ranks then in 2000 the QARNNS was fully intergrated into the Royal Navy.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

JO 265 An unusual Junior Officer's cap badged to the RN Reserve (RNR). The cap is named or initialed to "ExFT". and is of pre WWII or possibly WWI vintage.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

JO 267 Pre WWII period JO Cap named to A Edmonds. Possibly WWI.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

JO 268 A Standard Pre WWII JO Cap. Possibly WWI

?

Ok brilliant, thankyou for looking into it. I will ask about and will take another look at it. Thanks again for your time

As a footnote to this post, the Senior Officer's cap shown at Post 17 item SO 313 has the same initials as those shown on item JO 265 above. JO 265 is a JO in the RNR whilst SO 313 is a SO in the RN. It would be interesting to know whether he went from the RNV into the RN and was promoted ot if he was in the RN and reverted in rank to join the RNR?? Either scenario is a distint possibility.

SO 313

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

RN Cap badge

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Internal Initials which appear to read Ex FT

JO R65

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Internal Initials which also appear to read Ex FT

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

RNR cap badge

Some lovely caps shown so far. Here are my Royal Navy Caps. First, a WW2 type Junior Officers cap by Gieves.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy Caps and Hats   Royal Navy Caps and Hats  

Royal Navy Caps and Hats  

Second, an early postwar petty Officers cap by Rawcliffes, c.1950. This postwar cap has a slightly longer peak than its wartime counterparts and features a plastic rather than leather chinstrap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy Caps and Hats   Royal Navy Caps and Hats  

Royal Navy Caps and Hats  

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast