Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Scots officers glengarry circa WWII

Article about: I added this one recently. It is in very good to excellent condition with no damage at all. It did not have the badge when I acquired it but was said to have belonged to a Royal Scot. The on

Default Royal Scots officers glengarry circa WWII

I added this one recently. It is in very good to excellent condition with no damage at all.
    It did not have the badge when I acquired it but was said to have belonged to a Royal Scot. The one I have added fits the only badge holes in the cap exactly and is of the appropriate type/period for a Royal Scots officer.

Again, the issue of dating the glengarry cap arises but this one gives a clue.

Being an officers private purchase piece it has a tailors label. In this case the label bears the legend "By appointment to the LATE King George V" but no other appointment mark. The use of the word "LATE" of course indicates that it was made after the death of the King (1937), and late enough for such labels to have been made and taken into use but before the new appointment to King George VI (ascended the throne 1938) was granted, again this would take time and not be immediate. After the appointment was granted the labels would then have to be made. I believe that this could not have been complete before the last half of 1939 even applying the timescales of today. If we take into account the idea of items either being made to order or a stock inventory being held I feel confident in placing this example firmly in the "wartime" bracket.

The label is marked with a name and I have identified a Royal Scots Lieutenant of that name in 1943. There is also an order/ledger number added to the label and I have contacted the makers (still in business) to ask if they can assist with refining the date. If they can I will add the info here.

This cap is one of the best in my collection and I hope it serves as a good reference here.

Any comments or opinions are much appreciated.

Regards

Mark

Royal Scots officers glengarry circa WWIIRoyal Scots officers glengarry circa WWIIRoyal Scots officers glengarry circa WWIIRoyal Scots officers glengarry circa WWIIRoyal Scots officers glengarry circa WWIIRoyal Scots officers glengarry circa WWIIRoyal Scots officers glengarry circa WWII
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Very nice.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Great find, Mark! It is always good to see headgear reunited with its cap badge. Even better is to be able to identify the officer who wore it.

Well done and a great way to preserve the officer's memory. We are only a few short years from when we will no longer have the WWII veterans to talk to. As you know from our conversations, some families are throwing this headgear in the bin when the veteran passes.

Cheers,

Reid

A very nice example!

Cheers,
    Steve