Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Spitfire helmet

Article about: Hi Gentleman, Here are the pictures of the helmet I got from my grandmother. She's not sure anymore of when she got it from that pilot...during WWII or maybe some time after...she is 93,who

Default Spitfire helmet

Hi Gentleman,

Here are the pictures of the helmet I got from my grandmother.
    She's not sure anymore of when she got it from that pilot...during WWII or maybe some time after...she is 93,who could blame here
    Love to hear your comments on this one.

Kind regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spitfire helmet   Spitfire helmet  

Spitfire helmet   Spitfire helmet  

Spitfire helmet   Spitfire helmet  

Default Re: Spitfire helmet

Hmmm! A late pattern internally-wired C-type helmet (1944 onwards) with motorcycle goggles done in a MkVIII style - NOT RAF issue items and most likely from the 50's/60's era when such goggles became very popular.

The oxygen mask is also a post war model, M-type if I recall - I can guarantee it is not WW2 issue.

If you look very carefully near the plug socket on the flying helmet, you should be able to see some markings stamped into the leather. It should be 22c/877 (or 878; 879; 880 - the different number realtes to the 4 different sizes of helmet). The helmet may be marked with the actual size number as well (1 - smallest; 4 - Largest). In addition there should be either an "AM" and corwn marking (AM = Air Ministry) or a war department arrow. The AM marked helmets tend to be wartime whereas the others are post-war. The helmet was in use well into the the 50's and there was even a conversion kit to make it suitable for use in jet fighters such as the Meteor. In some training units it was not uncommon to see the helmet being used even later than the 50's by some old sweat instructors.
    Last edited by skypilot; 08-25-2010 at 07:28 PM.