Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

USAAF Visor

Article about: Hello all, This visor is one of the longest standing pieces in my collection, got it for Christmas almost 10 years ago. I’d put it on here as a USAAF visor although I used to think it was

?

Default USAAF Visor

Hello all,

This visor is one of the longest standing pieces in my collection, got it for Christmas almost 10 years ago. I’d put it on here as a USAAF visor although I used to think it was an Army visor before I knew anything about visors. I am also interested to know the maker of the visor.

The visor is in pretty decent shape, the worst wear is between the brim and felt. The bill is a stiff, 2-ply and would have had to been broken hard to become a crusher. I could not find any hallmark on the cap eagle. It looks like the Gemsco Acid Test variant but it is not. The E-Z cushion sweatband holds all of the stitching and is in good shape. I like the size ‘7’ sticker on the back on the sweatband and the tied bow. Not sure what happened inside that caused the film layer to get “burnt” obscuring most of the makers mark.

USAAF Visor

USAAF Visor

USAAF Visor

USAAF Visor

USAAF Visor

Regards, Ben

What distinguishes it as air corp versus regular army?

Also, i have seen this weird “burn” mark on other visors that have this similar lining material. To me it looks like whatever material they used to make it “waterproof” adhered the the layer underneath.

?

Quote by Eagle mtn View Post
    What distinguishes it as air corp versus regular army?
    The soft headgear experts know more than me but I’ve read that it is difficult to differentiate. The army and air corps both used similar caps. Without provenance or it being one advertised towards airmen like the Bancroft Flighter - it appears that it’s not very straightforward. It’s easy for sellers to bust the bill and fold it up then peddle it as the more desirable aviator’s crusher.

Quote by Witt View Post
    The soft headgear experts know more than me but I’ve read that it is difficult to differentiate. The army and air corps both used similar caps. Without provenance or it being one advertised towards airmen like the Bancroft Flighter - it appears that it’s not very straightforward. It’s easy for sellers to bust the bill and fold it up then peddle it as the more desirable aviator’s crusher.
    Agreed. USAAF Officers/men wore the same caps as the rest of the army. They could purchase the crusher, which is defined by purists as a cap that lacks a stiffener and is made out of elastique gabarind and has a 1-piece leather visor.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Agreed. USAAF Officers/men wore the same caps as the rest of the army. They could purchase the crusher, which is defined by purists as a cap that lacks a stiffener and is made out of elastique gabarind and has a 1-piece leather visor.
    Thank you Stone. I’ve lived my whole life with the assumption that all Army visor cap are the same regardless of branch, unless of course it could be directly identified to an officer in the aircorps.