Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

USMC HBT Cap

Article about: This is my first piece of US soft headgear, and being honest, I'm not entirely sure what I have here! I bought it from a dealer in the UK who wasn't sure either, so it was a bit of a gamble.

Default USMC HBT Cap

This is my first piece of US soft headgear, and being honest, I'm not entirely sure what I have here! I bought it from a dealer in the UK who wasn't sure either, so it was a bit of a gamble.

This appears to be a USMC HBT cap, though exactly what type I have no idea. It is very well worn and sweat-stained, a size 7 1/4, with a label that is only partially legible. It reads 'Cap, Herringbone Twill', and appears to indicate a manufacture date of January 1943. There is a QMC date beneath it, but only the month of April is legible.

When I first received it, the first thing I noticed was the cap device, which is mirrored. After a bit of research, it seems someone has substituted a USMC collar badge for the cap version, using one from the opposite side of the uniform. It does appear to have been with the cap for some time, as it won't come out when the screwback disc is removed. The anchor is the non-fouled type, which would fit with a WWII-era cap, but I'm not entirely sure if it was common or accepted to use collar badges as cap insignia in such a way.

Anyone able to shed some light on this one?

USMC HBT Cap USMC HBT Cap USMC HBT Cap USMC HBT Cap USMC HBT Cap USMC HBT Cap

B.B.

BB you've got the Marine Combat Utility cap P1941 model in sage green. These were used in the early part of the Pacific war and was superceded by the P1944 version which is more an Olive drab colour.
    I have a P1941 cap as used by the New Zealand Army around 1943. The peak or visor is not as long and in the P1944, in my photo it appears longer than actually is. This model is harder to find these days, P1944 is more common. So good find.

USMC HBT Cap

Quote by Anderson View Post
    BB you've got the Marine Combat Utility cap P1941 model in sage green. These were used in the early part of the Pacific war and was superceded by the P1944 version which is more an Olive drab colour.
    I have a P1941 cap as used by the New Zealand Army around 1943. The peak or visor is not as long and in the P1944, in my photo it appears longer than actually is. This model is harder to find these days, P1944 is more common. So good find.

USMC HBT Cap
    Thank you kindly for the help, I’m glad this gamble paid off! Little victories like this make the hobby worthwhile.

B.B.