Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Womens services cap badges

Article about: Good afternoon gents, I thought I might start a new subject thread for my 1000th post and I couldn't find this subject in particular (sorry if there is one, maybe we might amalgamate if appr

Default Womens services cap badges

Good afternoon gents,

I thought I might start a new subject thread for my 1000th post and I couldn't find this subject in particular (sorry if there is one, maybe we might amalgamate if appropriate) so here goes;

Like many collections of British cap badges mine began with infantry of the line, cavalry, yeomanry etc etc and I admit I overlooked the ladies in uniform to an extent despite serving alongside many during my career in green.

However, I have recently gone a long way to redressing the imbalance and have found that there are more than enough womens badges to represent as a sub-section in my collection and wondered if it might be useful to start a general discussion on the different badges and the services they represent over the relatively short evolution (100 years really) to the present day where the girls are mostly integrated with their male colleagues. I am sure many collectors are / have been at the same point in their collecting so please show the badges you have and duplication is not to be avoided, the more the merrier.

In no particular time order here is one to start, a rececent acquisition and hastily snapped here with a hand held camera (better pics with the next ones).

Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps (1918 - 1920) followed on from The Womens Army Auxiliary Corps (1917 - 1918) and this is a light bronze (as opposed to brass) example in very good condition;

Regards

Mark

Womens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badges

More to follow so let's see what other members have to show.

PS If anybody can point me in the direction of a decent Kings Crown QARANC badge I should be grateful.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

An interesting subject but one I cannot contribute to except for this Womans Land Army badge which I think was worn as botha cap badge or lapel/uniform badge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Womens services cap badges   Womens services cap badges  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry, yes it is a subject that I think has to be considered in the round by anyone collecting cap badges, general militaria or just intereseted in the war time history of the nation.

As I say, it is something I admit to not paying as much attention to as an affirmed militaria enthusist maybe should.

Of course the WLA was stricly a civilian organisation but inextricably linked to the war effort and the mobilisation of an early "people power".

Initially raised during WWI (1917 -19) it was disbanded after the war. At that time they didn't have a cap badge but many wore a lapel badge of The Board of Agriculture in their hats which is probably where the idea of a common cap / lapel badge comes from.

In 1939 the WLA was resurected initially with volunteers but later with conscripts filling the number.

The badge you show is I believe the pin back type worn on the breast of the green jersey and mine below is the cap badge of exactly the same size and pattern but with lugs / loops for a split pin instead of the brooch pin.

Thanks for your contribution.

Regards

Mark

Womens services cap badgesWomens services cap badges
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Default Womens Auxilliary Army Corps (WAAC)

This one is the predecessor to the badge at the top of the thread and was in use 1917 -18.

The WAAC was really the start of women in the military though their roles were very limited compared to today.

The WAAC did not initially use military ranks. Instead of officers and NCOs there were; controllers, administrators and forewomen much like in the civilian work plcae.

This badge is also of a bronze metal rather than brass and is also of a relitively high quality compared to later badges;

Regards

MarkWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badges
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-17-2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: typo

Default Auxilliary Territorial Service (ATS)

The ATS existed from 090938 to 010249 when it became part of the WRAC (Womens Royal Army Corps).

Around 300 ATS served with the BEF in France and were amongst the last to be evacuated.

A developing role during WWII was in the anti aircraft searchlight batteries like the Wehrmacht Flakhilferinen.

Our own Princess Elizabeth (HM Queen EIIR) served in the ATS as Lt Elizabeth Windsor and was a driver/mechanic!

This is the standard other ranks brass version.

Regards

Mark

Last edited by Watchdog; 10-27-2020 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Typo

Great thread Mark, I will add this if i may?

The Women’s Voluntary Service or WVS (later the WRVS)

Originally founded in 1938 as the Women’s Voluntary Services for Air Raid Precautions, Royal Voluntary Service is the largest volunteering organisation in British history.
    WVS was initially formed to help recruit women into the ARP movement assisting civilians during and after air raids by providing emergency rest centres, feeding, first aid, and perhaps most famously assisting with the evacuation and billeting of children.

By 1943 the organisation had over one million volunteers and was involved in almost every aspect of wartime life from the collection of salvage to the knitting of socks and gloves for merchant seamen. After the war Royal Voluntary Service transformed to become a leading organisation in the field of social care, pioneering the practices that formed the cornerstone of modern social services.

In 1966 in recognition of the service WVS and its volunteers had given to this country they were granted the honour of adding ‘Royal’ to their title by Her Majesty the Queen. becoming the Women’s Royal Voluntary Service.

This 1941 issue WVS beret carries the queen's crown version of the badge, suggesting possible service both during and post war.

Kind Regards
    Ed

Thanks Ed, yes I know the WRVS very well from my own early service. Not actually part of the military but so closely associated that sometimes an outside observer would struggle to appreciate the fact. Also, not always appreciated by their "clients" for want of a better word and often the but of soldierly humour. Many a recruit bearing the rigours of training or more experienced soldiers in isolated or spartan postings would have a far more bleak existence without the WRVS library, canteen etc and as you say; they performed a crucial Civil Defence function and were pioneers of modern social services.

I am sure other members have items in their collections to enrich this thread. So, notwithstanding that this is in the Western Allies section and is framed as concerning British womens service organisations cap badges I wonder if the main theme might benefit from the counterpoise of TR and worldwide organisations. If so maybe a Mod might want to move the thread to a more appropriate sub-forum. No objection from me there including a change to the title. I started this with a view to discussing a much over looked area of military support services and in retrospect I can see no reason to keep it exclusively British or even army. Any thoughts gents?

Regards

Mark

Default Womens Royal Army Corps WRAC

The successor to the ATS Formed 1949 and Disbanded 1992.

For the most part WRAC soldiers were attached in trade employments to the Corps or Support Services as integral unit members and essentially under command of the host unit. Some were also attached to "teeth arms" in administrative roles.

In the last few years of the Corps existence members were further integrated into other units and the lines became blurred as the girls began to wear the buttons and other regimental embellishments of their host units. In my own corps the girls were totally embedded with only a cap badge and the colour of the No1 and No2 uniforms being different. This caused more than enough friction with the WRAC senior hierachy.

During the early '80s firearms training was introduced for the girls and there was a period during which those enlisted before a certain date had the choice of becoming weapon trained or not. So, the process was one of evolution really rather than a sudden metamorphosis and at one point WRAC uniform was worn with the buttons badges and other insignia of the host unit. Something of a headache for uniform collectors now as there were no officially documented regulations for this which was decreed by commanding officers.

Anyway, the cap badges;

1. Officers Kings Crown 1949 - 53
    2. Soldiers Kings Crown 1949 - 53
    3. Officers Queens Crown 1953 - 92 (?)
    4. Soldiers Queens Crown 1953 - 92 (?)
    5. Soldiers Queens Crown annodised aluminium - Early '70s - 1992.
    6. Beret badge backing.

Womens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badges

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-13-2020 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Typo

Default Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps QARANC

With a lineage directly from Florence Nightingale in the Crimea (everyone knows about Scutari right?) the "QA's" came to be in 1949 as successors to the QAIMNS - Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service with inclusion into the Army List as a Corps.

Originally all female (which is why it is in this thread) since the changes brought about by the "Peace Dividend" the corps now includes male personnel (1992 male nurses and some other trades transferred from RAMC to QARANC). Since 1950 the corps has trained nurses. Today the medical personnel seen providing aid in disease and war torn areas of the world are a mixture of QA and RAMC soldiers. A good example is the recent Ebola crisis in Africa during which a British Nurse, Pauline Cafferkey (A QARANC reservist) was infected but recovered from this terrible disease.

1. QARANC Kings Crown 1949 - 53
    2. QARANC Queens Crown 1953 - '70s (Replaced by annodised aluminium "Staybrite")

These are both ORs oattern as they are die stamped and not gilt although the KC pattern does appear to have had some kind of plated finish originally (?).

3. QARANC OR's 1970's - present

Womens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badges

Here are Officer pattern Kings Crown and Queens Crown patterns which are forged rather than stamped and ar fire gilt;

Womens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badgesWomens services cap badges

(These didn't load in the order I intended but I guess they are still easy to tell which obv goes with which rev!)

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-02-2020 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Typo

Default First Aid Nursing Yeomanry and Womens Transport Service F.A.N.Y

Yep, the FANYs!

Not actually an army corps - really?

Formed in 1907 they were women on horseback with first aid skills and the horse element is how the title "Yeomanry" comes about. The idea was that being mounted they would be able to reach casualties far more quickly than any ambulance of the day. Quite like our paramedic first responders today in cars or on motorcycles.

With the start of WWI the impracticality of charging around on horseback became evident and the FANY remained in base hospitals (initially mostly Belgian due to British prejudice against female involvement in the male dominated "sport" of open warfare ) performing more conventional nursing duties. The unit received a surprising number of gallantry awards however. The FANY provided a guard of honour when the body of Nurse Edith Cavell was repatriated.

FANY existed between the wars and with the increase of mechanisation there was more requirement for drivers amongst them and this began to dominate the unit role. Early in WWII it became the Womens Transport Service F.A.N.Y and provided drivers and mechanics across the forces. The unit also provided transport companies of the ATS (forerunner of the WRAC). Something not widely known is that FANY was a source of many of the female secret operatives sent to Europe during WWII with SOE etc. These included; Odette Hallowes (see the movie"Odette") Odette Hallowes - Wikipedia and Violette Szabo (movie "Carve Her Name with Pride") Violette Szabo - Wikipedia.

Today, the Corps provides response teams in support of the Civil and Military authorities within London during a major event or incident, as well as providing UK-wide assistance for civil and military planning and exercise roles. It is open to volunteers between the ages of 18 and 45 who reside or work near London, within the M25. Corps members are trained in radio communications, first aid skills, map reading, navigation and orienteering, shooting, self-defence and survival techniques, advanced driving and casualty bureau documentation. Their working dress is similar to that of the modern British Army; on formal occasions they wear a uniform similar to British Army Service Dress. They also have their own rank system.

The FANY was officially renamed the Princess Royal's Volunteer Corps in 1999, after being given permission by Anne, Princess Royal to use her title, and is now referred to as FANY (PRVC).

The earlier badge; FANY is die stamped bronze. The later WTS FANY is die forged bronze.

1. First Aid Nursing Yeomanry;

2. Womens Transport Srvice FANY;

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-13-2020 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast