MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 British Pith helmet question

Article about: Hi Forum, I have recently acquired a WW1 era British pith helmet, not something I would normally collect but it was a gift. sAdly it is not in the best condition and the brim is missing a pi

Default WW1 British Pith helmet question

Hi Forum,

I have recently acquired a WW1 era British pith helmet, not something I would normally collect but it was a gift. sAdly it is not in the best condition and the brim is missing a piece of cork. Is it worth trying to repair, has anyone tried before or should I leave it as is?

Can post pictures later if required.

?

Please post photos

need pics, but im a believer in keeping it original

?

As a rule I agree to keeping things original, but I remember my first pith helmet many years ago, it was in rough condition with the brim broken but still attached by the cloth, I re-enforced the the cork under neath, to make it look better for my own collection, and was happy I did as it was not worth a lot and it looked much better for me for my pleasure, in time I was able to afford better ones, and traded the one I had repaired for far more than I paid for it... just my thoughts

Dean
    Canada

WW1 British Pith helmet questionWW1 British Pith helmet questionWW1 British Pith helmet questionWW1 British Pith helmet questionWW1 British Pith helmet questionWW1 British Pith helmet questionWW1 British Pith helmet question

Apologies only got an iPad to hand at present. I haven't done anything to it at all yet. Comments welcome.

Always nice to see a genuine WWI example. A shame about the condition but at 101 years old its not too bad.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Well to me as this is in this condition, I would, just my opinion, do something to make it look better for display, a small bit of tin cork to fill out the brim, then a small bit of white glue to hold the liner in...then the helmet put on a wooden stretcher, I have 3 or 4, to mount the lid on then wind out the strechter until it is tight, you must make sure the stretcher is proporly inline with the lid.... strechet it for a coulpe of days, let the glue dry...then start to steam it lightly while on the stretcher, opening it out a slight bit..do that for a few days. a ;little at a time...then let it dry on that form for a week...this will make it look better and re-enforce it....just my thoughts...need a new keyboard as some keys on this one no longer work...sorry for the spelling!!!

From the same source I have also got a photograph of the possible owner with his mates. He was part of a Lewis gun section. The photo was taken in the Middle East, no date sadly.

Looking at the letter 'T' over the W /|\ D stamp I would guess this to be a helmet manufactured in 1937. I have several items also dated 1937 with the T, as well as items from 1936 with a U and 1938 with an S. Looking at the style/condition of the leather sweat band and the green cloth lining in the crown, I would place this as an inter-war Wolseley helmet rather than WW1.

Inter-war examples are actually very hard to find in my opinion, and the Wolseley pattern was phased out early in WW2. You tend to see some mint unissued examples dated 1941-2 but these have fewer folds in the puggaree and a silver foil crown lining. I suspect yours would have had the thicker puggaree very similar to WW1 examples.

Maybe if you could post the photo of the owner it might help to identify him and narrow down a date for his service.

Matthew

?

Here is my Canadian used ww1 Lid, looks great from the outside, but when you turn it over is a whole differant story

Dean O
    Canada

WW1 British Pith helmet questionWW1 British Pith helmet questionWW1 British Pith helmet questionWW1 British Pith helmet questionWW1 British Pith helmet questionWW1 British Pith helmet questionWW1 British Pith helmet questionWW1 British Pith helmet question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast