Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anatomy of an Ebay Headgear Scam

Article about: This just popped up on the 'bay, with the following description: "Österreich 1. Bundesheer - Schirmmütze für Generale, M.20; sehr frühe Form um 1920/21; feldgraues Wolltuch, goldene

Default Anatomy of an Ebay Headgear Scam

This just popped up on the 'bay, with the following description:

"Österreich 1. Bundesheer - Schirmmütze für Generale, M.20; sehr frühe Form um 1920/21; feldgraues Wolltuch, goldene Blechkokade mit rot/weiss/rotem Mittelteil; scharlachrote Vorstöße, umlaufendes dunkelgrünes Wolltuch am Stirnstreifen; vorne mittig das Kappenabzeichen in der Form des Wiener Landeswappens (zusätzlich rot ausgemalt) auf scharlachroter Wollunterlage; schwarzer Lacklederschirm mit brauner Unterseite, schwarzes Lackledersturmband - beidseitig von je 1 vergoldenen Knopf mit Generals-Dessin gehalten. Braunes Schweißleder mit leichten Tragespuren. Grüngelbes Deckelfutter aus Seide mit Größenstempel 56 1/2Perfekte Erhaltung ohne erkennbare Beschädigungen! Farbfrisch und in absolutem Bestzustand!Extrem seltene Kopfbedeckung aus der Anfangszeit des 1. österreichischen Bundesheeres nach dem 1. Weltkrieg!”
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anatomy of an Ebay Headgear Scam   Anatomy of an Ebay Headgear Scam  

Anatomy of an Ebay Headgear Scam   Anatomy of an Ebay Headgear Scam  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Anatomy of an Ebay Headgear Scam
    P
    Many

?

First I thought there is something wrong here as - although I perhaps should know that - I had in mind that officer's and general's caps were the black stiff caps.

A look on the net made me wiser - in the 1920ies there were these caps for Austrian generals, see here:

Tellerkappe und Schulterstucke fur einen Generalmajor des Osterreichischen Bundesheeres Muster 1924, - Historische Waffen, Uniformen, Militaria - Sonderteil: Nachlass Generalmajor Wolfgang Waldherr 15.02.2016 - Erzielter Preis: EUR 2.000 - Dorotheum

(different insigne and cords - this is what I would have expected), but, see here:

Osterreichisches Bundesheer 1. Republik

this seems to have existed as well - I would have thought it would be Vienna-related, not Austria-wide (what I found was "Wiener Stadt-Miliz-Batallion"). What makes me think is the chin strap, for an officer/gerneral I would really have expected gilt cord. The buttons, however are for officers/generals. I would rather suspect this is an EM/NCO cap with officer's buttons for what reason ever.

This is, by the way, an Austrian dealer, see here: Osterreich 1. Bundesheer Schirmmutze fur Generale M.20 | NEUE ARTIKEL | Richard Militaria
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 03-18-2021 at 10:26 PM.

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    First I thought there is something wrong here as - although I perhaps should know that - I had in mind that officer's and general's caps were the black stiff caps.

A look on the net made me wiser - in the 1920ies there were these caps for Austrian generals, see here:

Tellerkappe und Schulterstucke fur einen Generalmajor des Osterreichischen Bundesheeres Muster 1924, - Historische Waffen, Uniformen, Militaria - Sonderteil: Nachlass Generalmajor Wolfgang Waldherr 15.02.2016 - Erzielter Preis: EUR 2.000 - Dorotheum

(different insigne and cords - this is what I would have expected), but, see here:

Osterreichisches Bundesheer 1. Republik

this seems to have existed as well - I would have thought it would be Vienna-related, not Austria-wide (what I found was "Wiener Stadt-Miliz-Batallion"). What makes me think is the chin strap, for an officer/gerneral I would really have expected gilt cord. The buttons, however are for officers/generals. I would rather suspect this is an EM/NCO cap with officer's buttons for what reason ever.

This is, by the way, an Austrian dealer, see here: Osterreich 1. Bundesheer Schirmmutze fur Generale M.20 | NEUE ARTIKEL | Richard Militaria
    Wolfgang, I was waiting for you to chime in!
    To me, it looks like a German-made Weimar Police NCO cap in every way (LaPo), with added Austrian insignia--something ain't right--

Actually, this is the same hat as it looked when it was sold on Ebay in November 2019 (for $245).
    It is (or was) a Weimar LaPo cap for an NCO of the Württemberg Landjaegerkorps.

The dealer removed the tell-tale name label (you can see the traces on the "General" visor); added buttons and chinstrap, added Austrian cap insignia, and is now trying to get some sucker to drop EUR 2.750,00 [US $3,273.74]--the "buy it now" price:

Osterreich 1. Bundesheer Schirmmutze fur Generale M.20 #35928 | eBay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anatomy of an Ebay Headgear Scam   Anatomy of an Ebay Headgear Scam  

Last edited by stonemint; 03-19-2021 at 05:54 AM.

No doubt it will be pulled, so saving the listing:

?

What a shame! A good cap ruined for profit.

?

A shame indeed, frustrating to see

Seems like the average turn-around on a bad/fake/screwed-with hat is about 18 months--they believe that if they lay low, people will forget about it.
    However, the internet never forgets.....

As Wolfgang pointed out, here is what a real Austrian General visor looks like (note that it was made by Erel, and retailed by Durbeck of Vienna):
    Attached Images Attached Images Anatomy of an Ebay Headgear Scam  Anatomy of an Ebay Headgear Scam 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast