Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broken pin on eagle - how to display?

Article about: Hey guys, I've got a luftwaffe EM/NCO cap whose eagle has a broken pin... I was wondering if anyone can give me some sensible and safe ideas for how to affix it in place without doing any da

Default Broken pin on eagle - how to display?

Hey guys, I've got a luftwaffe EM/NCO cap whose eagle has a broken pin...

I was wondering if anyone can give me some sensible and safe ideas for how to affix it in place without doing any damage - it need not be permanent enough to last through an earthquake or anything - but just so I can display the piece.

thanks
    James

Broken pin on eagle - how to display?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Broken pin on eagle - how to display?
    P
    Many

I assume blu-tac is a bad idea...

?

Is the eagle original to the cap and are the cockade and eagle a matching set?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by eccles23 View Post
    I assume blu-tac is a bad idea...
    I wouldn't use blutac as this can stain materials if in contact. Personally I would replace the broken Adler, they can be found or possibly a member here has one spare they can do a deal with you for?

?

It depends how much of a purist you are.
    Replace the eagle and you have a cap with a replaced eagle.
    Repair it and you have a a cap with repaired insignia.
    If the eagle and cockade match and you replace the eagle you will have a cap with mismatched insignia.
    Replace both and you will have a cap with replaced insignia.
    You can't win!

I jest, if it were me I'd replace the eagle with one as closely matched to the condition of the cockade as possible and try to use the same pin holes in the fabric if you can find one that the pins match the holes as close as possible.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    It depends how much of a purist you are.
    Replace the eagle and you have a cap with a replaced eagle.
    Repair it and you have a a cap with repaired insignia.
    If the eagle and cockade match and you replace the eagle you will have a cap with mismatched insignia.
    Replace both and you will have a cap with replaced insignia.
    You can't win!

I jest, if it were me I'd replace the eagle with one as closely matched to the condition of the cockade as possible and try to use the same pin holes in the fabric if you can find one that the pins match the holes as close as possible.
    I might also add that it's possible that the insignia have been replaced already (if for example the hat was found in Germsny and the swastika had been removed). I'm just hypothesising as to how the badge was broken off...

?

Exactly that. Visors with replaced insignia appear all the time. As long as you are preserving artifacts for the better and not changing them then I can't see a problem.

yep - that'd be the way to go I think... I think as long as it's true to the piece and the correct period/matching etc then it's no real sin (and as you've both said, it's just as likely to have been done already as not!).

It was me that broke it though

?

If it were mine, I would secure the Adler in its correct position with a couple of stitches - perhaps at the root of the wing - using a suitably fine and tonally-matched thread.
    I’ve done this before and it is only noticeable upon very close inspection and causes no damage to the cap whatsoever.

Never use blutac on fabric - or anything else in your collection for that matter - as it will leave unremovable residue in the weave and probably grease staining, too!

?

Never use glue on fabric - it would destroy the fabric. If you just want to secure the pin you could use 2 component liquid metal to fix it to the eagle and then carefully put it back on the cap (I suppose it is an aluminum eagle which would exclude soldering?).

Personally I like Kohima's solution a lot which doesn't do any harm to neither the fabric nor to
    the insignia.

BTW: could you post some shots from the interior of your cap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast