Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Genesis of the "Same Plane"?

Article about: by ErWeSa Plus the workmanship - I tried out cuts of caps with the "perfect" shape, yet when I sewed them, they looked disappointingly different. But one should never give up to do

Welhausen took the concept to a whole new level--their wartime peaks are the opposite of "forward-lean", and are "reverse lean" (ie, swept-back):
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Genesis of the "Same Plane"?   The Genesis of the "Same Plane"?  

The Genesis of the "Same Plane"?   The Genesis of the "Same Plane"?  

Last edited by stonemint; 05-16-2020 at 05:05 AM.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Genesis of the "Same Plane"?
    P
    Many

Found a better pic showing the Welhausen "sweep":
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Genesis of the "Same Plane"?  

?

Wonderful caps. How only did they do it? As in the other thread with the WH infantry cap I would be very interested in the length of the seams of the side panels and the width/length of the top panel with the Welhausens.

I wish I had the occasion one day to inspect specimen like these thoroughly.

The flat front of the orange piped Welhausen WH cap is indicative of the metal spring(s) sewn inside the centerband-stiffener to maintain its shape - the only other I know that did so is Kaps.
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 05-15-2020 at 09:54 PM.

It is precisely described in the Prediger steel wire process.
    I have now understood how this form came about.
    If you design the hat very steep, everything will move backwards. The front seam also tilts backwards and will line up with the front section or go even further back.
    I will try to achieve this shape. If it works we have an answer.

I also want to make sure our readers are not confusing "same plane" with a soldier (or collector) having taken out the crown spring and then bending the peak stiffener back to achieve the look (& I do not recommend doing so, as you will either break the stiffener or it will separate from the pasteboard).

What I am referring to are visors that are factory-made to look this way, even with the crown spring intact.

Here is a wartime Red Cross Kleiderkasse EM/NCO visor with factory-made "same plane" body/band (crown spring is intact):
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Genesis of the "Same Plane"?  
    Last edited by stonemint; 05-16-2020 at 12:55 AM.

It is only on the pattern how the cap looks at the end. Of course it is a separate cut that makes the cap look like this. Removing or redesigning something on the cap is of course wrong and should not lead to the result. It is also about revealing the secret of how the manufacture of these caps came about and has developed. A lot of spatial imagination is required. At least I've already finished the pattern. Now it's time to try out and study.

?

The development of Welhausen is really remarkable, here is an "ordinary" shaped (of earlier days?) one:

The Genesis of the "Same Plane"?

Credits for the picture go to stonemint.

Wolfgang, it appears all the major makers went to the "same plane/swept-back" sometime in 1940-41.
    I am just not clear if it was due to a specific request by a specific organisation (such as the SS Kleiderkasse), or it was just the result of a maker experimenting and then everyone copying it.

Here is an example of the distinction by one maker (Erel).
    The hat Rommel wore in Afrika was a sattelform visor with the "same-plane" method of construction.
    However, his later hat has the forward lean (I call that visor the "Normandy" visor, as he is seen there wearing it during inspections).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Genesis of the "Same Plane"?   The Genesis of the "Same Plane"?  

Attached Images Attached Images The Genesis of the "Same Plane"? 
    Last edited by stonemint; 07-15-2020 at 05:56 PM.

The late-war Erels "devolved" in that they have a lower peak with forward lean, and smaller crown (most likely a material/cost-saving measure).
    (the late war is the bottom photo):

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast