Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Hitler's Hat Up For Auction

Article about: Hello Fellow Collectors, One of Hitler's per-war brown visor caps will be auctioned off at the end of this month at the Auctionhouse Andreas Thies Orden, Ehrenzeichen und militarhistorische

The smaller eagle would date the hat to the 1934/1935 period. Here is one version of Hitler's cap from 1934 when he attended Hindenburg's funeral.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hitler's Hat Up For Auction  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hitler's Hat Up For Auction
    P
    Many

From mid 1935 a view of the interior of one of Hitler's caps.
    Attached Images Attached Images Hitler's Hat Up For Auction 

?

However, this cap is at least from 1936 as shown by the logo in the interior. I think notions of the eagles being of different sizes is due more to the photography than anything else. We've all seen old photos in which something like white piping looks way too thick, and its due to the reflective qualities of what's being photographed. Here's one of the hats from the Russian archives. The eagle on this cap is the size of the eagles on all of Hitler's hats, grey or brown (this eagle was originally intended for a brown cap). There is one other surviving brown cap, earlier than this one, which has a slightly different eagle, and before that, Hitler wore the metal M-29 eagle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hitler's Hat Up For Auction  

?

And this is the style of cap Hitler was wearing when he attended Hindenburg's funeral. Note the eagle variation.

" I think notions of the eagles being of different sizes is due more to the photography than anything else. We've all seen old photos in which something like white piping looks way too thick, and its due to the reflective qualities of what's being photographed." Arran

Sorry Arran, I don't buy that explanation. Proportions of wing length to height are very clear even in photos not so close.Hitler's Hat Up For Auction

That bird is small.

"However, this cap is at least from 1936 as shown by the logo in the interior."
    Arran,
    Sorry, I don't follow you. The interior logo photo is definitely from a 1935 factory visit.

?

Hi D'alquen- prior to mid-1936, the man in the Holters logo sported a cockade on the peak of his cap, whereas after that an eagle was represented. Its a tiny change in the logo, but very significant...

I always used the change in address to identify the two patterns of Holters logos as it is easier to see in photos. The first pattern with a cockade has three lines of type and the later pattern with a national eagle has only two.

?

I don't see a significant size difference between these two eagles (note that the picture of the grey cap is slightly larger overall)
    Attached Images Attached Images Hitler's Hat Up For Auction 

?

Hi D'alquen- when I said the cap was post 1936, I was referring to the thread starter rather than the cap shown in the period pic you posted...sorry for the confusion!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast