Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HJ Winter Caps: A Primer

Article about: Gents, we have been seeing a lot of postwar youth ski caps that have had HJ diamonds slapped on them and being sold as originals. Real ones are hard to find, simply because many ex-HJ contin

Default HJ Winter Caps: A Primer

Gents, we have been seeing a lot of postwar youth ski caps that have had HJ diamonds slapped on them and being sold as originals.

Real ones are hard to find, simply because many ex-HJ continued to wear their hats after the war, sans insignia.
    (As such, a lot of the real ones you find have replaced insignia and heavy wear.)

As the HJ was a party organisation, it was controlled by the RZM, and RZM marks/tags are what you look for.

This is your standard set-up:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HJ Winter Caps:  A Primer  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HJ Winter Caps:  A Primer
    P
    Many

One of the first things to look for is an adjustable buckle.
    The buckles are usually aluminum or zinc (sometimes you will see blackened examples).
    You want to see RZM markings on the backs of the buckles, as here:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HJ Winter Caps:  A Primer  
    Attached Images Attached Images HJ Winter Caps:  A Primer 

You want to see an RZM tag.
    There area few types depending on the era:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HJ Winter Caps:  A Primer   HJ Winter Caps:  A Primer  

HJ Winter Caps:  A Primer   HJ Winter Caps:  A Primer  

HJ Winter Caps:  A Primer  

The HJ diamonds are of 3 types: sewn on bevo; metal/enamel with prongs; and the standard HJ pin:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HJ Winter Caps:  A Primer   HJ Winter Caps:  A Primer  

You will find examples with buttons, which are primarily wartime:

These are POSTWAR ski caps.

Note the rubber/vinyl edge trim common to these--90% of the "HJ" caps for sale are of this type--if you see it, run away:

HJ Winter Caps:  A Primer   HJ Winter Caps:  A Primer  

?

This is why I don't do forums anymore..period photos just ignored and swept under the carpet, HJ wearing it = HJ hat, don't care what the "experts" say.. good luck trying to get a refund using "POSTWAR" as the reason with this photo kicking around

?

Going to extremes.. here's another one that flies in the face of regulations but it's a perfectly good collectable from the period if someone owned it.

Quote by ColinD View Post
    This is why I don't do forums anymore..period photos just ignored and swept under the carpet, HJ wearing it = HJ hat, don't care what the "experts" say.. good luck trying to get a refund using "POSTWAR" as the reason with this photo kicking around
    Yes, I have been aware of that picture for years.
    My point is that the majority of ones for sale as "HJ" lack the RZM marked buckle and the RZM tag.

The ones I posted with the rubberized edge are all postwar.
    I have yet to see an original with a rubberized edge with an RZM tag and buckle.

As the thread title states, it is a primer--a general guide to helping determine postwar from wartime.

?

This issue has already been treated here (post # 19):

HJ Ski-Cap #2

Quite a convincing explanation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast