Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Kavallerie mit Schwedter Adler 6th Cavalry Regiment Officers Visor

Article about: The 2nd of three visors I picked up at the Max. This one spoke to me. Kept going back to it at the show. Something about it.... Overall condition is excellent with light honest wear. Great f

TWS
    ?

I love the jaunty look it has. I knew from the moment we started looking at this one you were going to go home with it.
    Congratulations my friend.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kavallerie mit Schwedter Adler 6th Cavalry Regiment Officers Visor
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by TWS View Post
    I love the jaunty look it has. I knew from the moment we started looking at this one you were going to go home with it.
    Congratulations my friend.
    Was it that apparent? LoL! The moment I saw that "Visa" sign on the table I knew I was sunk!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Magnificent cap ! Congrats on a great find.
    Regards, Al

MAP
    ?

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Magnificent cap ! Congrats on a great find.
    Thanks Al. Both this and the Panzer Grenadier visor really caught my eye at the show. Had to go home with them.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hello MAP,
    please don't get me wrong that I went on having critical looks at the cap. As you say, the most important thing is that YOU like it.
    So don't read on, if you don't want to. I hate the feeling that (perhaps unjustified) doubt might spoil your joy.

Yet I have the impression that something was done with this cap. Perhaps only sweatband and visor were exchanged. Perhaps also the insignia were - there are some empty holes in the lining and one loose thread there as if something had been removed.

I don't want to say it is an Älteste either - I don't have one of these for a comparison but I did remember that I had seen this kind of sweatband before (perhaps an Älteste was used to provide the replacement parts for an original cap):

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...s-used-18b.jpg

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...ls-used-7b.jpg

(Here is the thread the pics stem from: ss skull original?)

As a mod you could also have a look at the Alteste-thread, there will be even more examples there.

Then, at least it looks like that in the pictures, there are holes in the centerband next to the metal insignia as if there had been an embroidered version sewn on.

Finally, a technical issue (I make caps myself so I am surprised to see this): the sweatband seems to be sewn to the fabric of the bottom Vorstoß (piping) only and do not go through the cardboard (could be due to the photo of course):

Perhaps I am overcritical, but that's one ot the things this forum has taught me. These collectables are too expensive for any fraud to be tolerated. So hopefully I am only imagining things and all of you will dissipate my suspicions. Thanks,
    ErWeSa
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 09-20-2021 at 07:51 PM.

MAP
    ?

Thanks. Let me take a deep read of this. At work currently.

MAP
    ?

Thanks again for the feedback. I do appreciate the critique.

The visor is all good and original.

I have however taken a deep dive this afternoon and looked at the visor based on your observations.

This type of sweat band, while unusual, is not unheard of on period visors from what I have been told.

I have turned out the sweatband and with a magnifying glass have looked very closely to identify any additional holes, stitching or anything else to indicate if this sweatband is not original to the visor. There were no red flags I could see. No extra hole, stitching or anything

I have also looked under the rayon by the wreath. There were just 2 or 3 small extra pin holes in the cardboard, one with that random piece of black thread. Not enough to secure a cloth or bullion wreath. There is no indication on the front or inside that there was another wreath on this visor. Aging to the exterior wool matches with the current wreath and eagle too. The exterior holes you highlighted, one is not there when I looked via a magnifying glass and is probably a trick of the light. The other looks more like a scratch to the wool and does not go through to the inside.

I have looked at each of my 4 other visors that have bullion/cloth insignia. All of them required many dozens of stitches to secure the wreath to the cardboard / Rayon. As noted, I was only able to see maybe 3 pin holes under the rayon.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I am comfortable in the originality of the visor from what I can see in hand.

?

That's good news! I am very relieved that my supicions proved wrong. From pictures alone its always hard to tell.

MAP
    ?

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    That's good news! I am very relieved that my supicions proved wrong. From pictures alone its always hard to tell.
    No worries! Challenge is good. It made me look very closely at the visor which was great. So thanks!

And yes. Photos tell only so much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2