MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Kornacker Infanterie NCO Schirmutze sweatband stamps?

Article about: I take it this is a contract cap, although the quality is fairly good (this must be a Kornacker thing?). Couple things are interesting, the cap which it looks like could be very early if tha

Default Kornacker Infanterie NCO Schirmutze sweatband stamps?

I take it this is a contract cap, although the quality is fairly good (this must be a Kornacker thing?). Couple things are interesting, the cap which it looks like could be very early if that 36 stamp means 1936 (?) exhibits almost pronounced Sattelform shape. Is 36 a date?

Also, the other stamp inside the sweatband, can't quite make it out, maybe someone has a pic of that same stamp that is more legible. The date inside the red stamp looks like 1583, or maybe 1938?

Another question is why the huge wear/finish difference between the eagle and the cockade? The cockade seems to be pinned between the cardboard upright tube and the inner cork, so it must be original to the hat, but looks amazingly good. The eagle, which was loose ("removed for pics" a REALLY stupid thing to do...) but looks to be 100% original to the hat (outline/ triple tab holes all match to a T upon re-installation is missing much more of the silver wash?

Unless the cockarde und adler are made of two different materials which took on age differently.

Is this common on these hats?

I like the look of the eagle, wish the cockade matched. However, much more likely to find and eagle that matches the cockade or just leave it alone if this is common, then more than likely it is the original eagle to the hat.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kornacker Infanterie NCO Schirmutze sweatband stamps?
    P
    Many

Not unknown for insignia to age differently due the the materials used in manufacture. Leave it be!

It is a nice cap.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thx Ade ;-) Of course that is the easiest thing to do.

?

Yes, leave it as is; it was not uncommon for mixed insignia. This eagle looks like earlier nickeled silver that tarnished, while the wreath looks like aluminum.

BobS

Hi, I agree with the others thus far, leave it be. I have seen this quite a lot, aging "patina", at a different rate. I think it is just more noticeable on hats because the pieces sit close atop one another. Nice hat.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Not unknown for insignia to age differently due the the materials used in manufacture. Leave it be!

It is a nice cap.

Cheers, Ade.

I associate myself with the above statement. What a collector thinks a piece should be versus what reality determined a piece to be, regardless of our subjective
    and flawed impressions, are two very different things. Cap insignia collectors, who collect these badges without the actual cap contribute greatly to this error and such persons as Adrian and myself spend a lot of time working otherwise. The cap is a fine piece. It is also true that these things were denazified, which is part of the record
    from 1936 until 2015 that cannot otherwise be ignored.

Thx all

1946 F-B, I think you mean.

Maybe someone can still shed some light on the logos and date.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Thx all

1946 F-B, I think you mean.

Maybe someone can still shed some light on the logos and date.
    No, I mean the cap was made in 1936 and the badge was taken off after whenever and your are trying to noodle it all out in this year. Since I am a lot older
    than nearly everyone here, and was collecting Nazi stuff in the good ole' FRG in the early 1970s, I have seen a lot of denazified things and live and worked with the
    people who both wore the cap originally, and then did all they could to remove all offending badges in the time thereafter.

The cap does not exist merely in the III. Reich. The cap has actually existed much longer than the III. Reich and for you and me, we try to figure
    out what it means, i.e. the apparent contradictions made worse by numb witted collectors who know nothing about the past.

The item's whole history is before us, not a selective part of it.

The cap, when made, was never intended to become a collector's item, and no one gave any thought to the badges corroding, as that person expected the cap tp
    be discarded or whatever. The contrast between intentions and realities should occupy a greater pride of place in our inquiries.

Caps from the Fa. Kornacker, ca. 1938, includes an officer redecorate from enlisted.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 11-29-2015 at 01:39 AM.

The date is when the sweat band, and quite possibly the whole cap was made.

- - ------- - -

The Kornacker stamp indicates when the cap was made.

Kornacker Infanterie NCO Schirmutze sweatband stamps?The sweat band maker often stamped the band as well, as in here.