Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LW-Generalluftzeugmeister Visor

Article about: Gents-- I have long been a skeptic that these visors existed, given the fact that no period pictures have ever come to light of one of these being in wear. I obtained this one fully intendin

Default LW-Generalluftzeugmeister Visor

Gents--

I have long been a skeptic that these visors existed, given the fact that no period pictures have ever come to light of one of these being in wear.

I obtained this one fully intending to return it, once I inspected it (figuring I would see stitch-marks from a prior bullion eagle, etc).

However, (and much to my surprise) I could find no evidence of a bullion eagle, on both the obverse and reverse of the lining (yes, I used a loupe).

I further expected the prongs to go thru the lining, but (also to my surprise) not only do they not go thru, the do not even go into the padding (ie, you cannot feel the prongs thru the rayon lining).

The hat is an LVA Clemens Wagner piece, and is unissued. It is undated, but I would guesstimate it was made around 1942).

The insignia is attached by the standard 3 needle-point prongs that are common to these GL pieces (I did not take it off--there is no way I could get it back on in the original position.)

The bottom line is that this GL insignia was put on prior to the hat being completed at the CW factory.

As such, I am now in the believer camp--ie, that they were made. However, whether they were issued is another story altogether.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LW-Generalluftzeugmeister Visor   LW-Generalluftzeugmeister Visor  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement LW-Generalluftzeugmeister Visor
    P
    Many

Here are some examples from Wim's HHG Vol 1:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LW-Generalluftzeugmeister Visor   LW-Generalluftzeugmeister Visor  

There is not much in the way of original source material on this insignia that I am aware of (hopefully Wim will pop in here).
    This is from Der Adler, but it does not designate how/where it is to be worn:
    (Credit: Nick G)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LW-Generalluftzeugmeister Visor  
    Attached Images Attached Images LW-Generalluftzeugmeister Visor 

Some misc. examples of the loose insignia:

LW-Generalluftzeugmeister Visor   LW-Generalluftzeugmeister Visor  

This is the only known "period" photo of one of these in wear.
    However, the person wearing the hat is a US GI.
    The hat also appears to be Feuerwehr, so one cannot rule out the insignia having been placed on the hat by the GI in the photo:

The cap in your first post is a real stunner.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

You do find pics of the insignia in wear--but on the breast (right or left), and by EM/NCO equivalents:

Attached Images Attached Images LW-Generalluftzeugmeister Visor  LW-Generalluftzeugmeister Visor 

Anyway, the mystery will be answered by either a regulation from a period text, or a period photo.
    If anyone has any more information on these badges, please feel free to post here.

Paul R has the only known example of an EM/NCO GL overseas cap that I am aware of (these are rarer than the officer visors):

?

I agree. I am very skeptical of these insignia being worn on the visor caps. While I have not seen a rank chart, I am skeptical to think that there are Officer/EM grades of this civilian branch, per se. I do know that there are red and yellow "waffenfarbes". Perhaps this is either a rank(EM/Officer) or job differentiation of some sort? I have never even seen a period photo of these men wearing a visor cap at all, now that I think of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast