Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pinched creases on crusher caps

Article about: Good day. I’m not sure if this has been discussed extensively already. But is it possible to understand why certain German crusher caps have a pinched crease on the top of the crown. Was i

Default Pinched creases on crusher caps

Good day. I’m not sure if this has been discussed extensively already. But is it possible to understand why certain German crusher caps have a pinched crease on the top of the crown.

Was it purely done for fashion reasons or was there a practical reason for it? Some pinched creases seem to be more dramatic than others.

Is it done by the wearer or the maker? Do they just pinch it often enough to produce the crease.

Pinched creases on crusher caps

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pinched creases on crusher caps
    P
    Many

for the "jaunty" look and some may have "pinched" the visor top when removing the cap

Some did it because they thought it was "chic". That didn't work with all Visors as far as I know. With the "alter Art" Visors (as seen on the photo) this obviously worked well.

Geb
    ?

I believe they are known as Veterans Nicks...It stems from the age when you survived a weapon strike to your helm... and is carried on into today..
    Mostly an Officers tradition ... Rank doth hast its privileges.

?

IMO many soldiers took their caps off/put them on like hat not using the bill thus pinching it at the crown. This was, of course, against the regulation. There are many caps (particularly Einheitsfeldmützen, Bergmützen etc.) which even sere sewn together with some long thread to keep the pinch permanent.
    Also some Feldmützen alter Art had this feature. The dress caps which were heavily stuffed and/or had the steel ring sewn inside could only be pinched with difficulties, but it happened as well.

Here are some examples:

Kriegsmarine Coastal Artillery NCO schirmutze
    New arrival: Pionier-Bataillon 13 Visor Cap
    Heer Infantry OR/NCO Schirmmütze. Maker marked.
    colored piping on cap, 1943...Sturbannfuehrer Bochmann
    The Bundesheer, the modern Austrian Army.

We have 110+ photos of crushers in wear here:

WH Crushers in Wear
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    IMO many soldiers took their caps off/put them on like hat not using the bill thus pinching it at the crown. This was, of course, against the regulation. There are many caps (particularly Einheitsfeldmützen, Bergmützen etc.) which even sere sewn together with some long thread to keep the pinch permanent.
    Also some Feldmützen alter Art had this feature. The dress caps which were heavily stuffed and/or had the steel ring sewn inside could only be pinched with difficulties, but it happened as well.

Here are some examples:

Kriegsmarine Coastal Artillery NCO schirmutze
    New arrival: Pionier-Bataillon 13 Visor Cap
    Heer Infantry OR/NCO Schirmmütze. Maker marked.
    colored piping on cap, 1943...Sturbannfuehrer Bochmann
    The Bundesheer, the modern Austrian Army.
    Some simply ripped off those steel rings, so they could easily pinch them.