Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pionier Offizier Feldmütze - Thoughts?

Article about: Hi, folks. I'd like your opinions on this cap. I already own this particular cap, but would like to know what others think. I've included several pictures under some different types of light

Default Pionier Offizier Feldmütze - Thoughts?

Hi, folks. I'd like your opinions on this cap. I already own this particular cap, but would like to know what others think. I've included several pictures under some different types of lighting.

It looks, to me, like a tailor made/private-purchase silver piped cap for a Pioneer officer. It lacks vent grommets, but I don't think that's entirely unusual for a private purchase cap, no?

The material is a very soft, fine wool - almost more like doeskin rather than the more coarse feldgrau wool typically seen. The cap is a light, grey color.

The condition appears near-mint/unworn. This is one of the things that concerned me a bit initially, but it wouldn't be the first cap I've seen that sat somewhere untouched since the end of the war. It smells old, at least...

The soutache material appears installed correctly, punched through small holes in the flap and evenly machine stitched on.

The cap is very flat and creased, and the wire cockade is also quite flattened, so it seems like to sat somewhere with weight on top of it for a long time.

The eagle, to me, appears to be a good one.

The interior is of a silk-like material, presumably rayon, with a leather sweatband at the forehead. There is a size 57 stamp, and a makers mark that I can't identify. Anyone seen one like it before? I know there were many manufacturers of caps, both commercial and private, but I'd love to identify the stamp. No luck yet.

You can feel a stiff piece of (reinforcing?) material sticking up above the stitch that goes around the crown of the cap - this is one of the first things I look for when evaluating an M43 (Einheitsfeldmütze) cap, but I don't recall this being as obvious on sidecaps like this one.

The silver piping seems OK to me, but I don't have a lot of examples to compare it to.

I think this is a good cap, but I'm not quite 100%.

I'd very much appreciate any comments on any of the above points. As always, thanks a million, friends.

-DF

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pionier Offizier Feldmütze - Thoughts?
    P
    Many

?

I tried to find information on Marie Damm, the maker (if I read this correctly) but to no avail - any hints of the place Wa..... ?? on the lower part of the stamp?

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    I tried to find information on Marie Damm, the maker (if I read this correctly) but to no avail - any hints of the place Wa..... ?? on the lower part of the stamp?
    Thanks so much for having a look and helping with my research! It also, to me, looks like Marie or Maria (Marla, quite possibly) Damm, but the D in Damm may also be a B. I'm still not sure I'm reading name right, assuming it's a name at all.

I've looked at this under extreme camera zoom, and even a USB microscope, but the ribbed rayon fabric makes it hard to determine.

The second bit looks to either read Werne, or Werke (as in factory) and then an acronym... G.L.? There are also three "stars", one on either side of the name, and one between Werke/Werne/? and the acronym (I think...)

I'm still 95% sure this is a good cap in excellent condition, it has all the right construction and the unmistakable musty, very old wool smell, but I'd love more opinions.

Whatever it is, the crafting is absolutely superb and is of very high quality - higher than even the best repros I've handled.

Thanks again for your help!!

-DF

?

I like the stitching, material and construction. I believe it's a very nice original cap. I haven't had time to look for that stamp. Would be nice to figure that out. Anyway nice cap.

Tim

Stamping says "Maria Damm, Werne a. d. L." (a. d. L. = an der Lippe).

Quote by Tim030 View Post
    I like the stitching, material and construction. I believe it's a very nice original cap. I haven't had time to look for that stamp. Would be nice to figure that out. Anyway nice cap.

Tim
    Thanks, Tim, for having a look and taking the time to comment. I also feel very confident in this cap now, and it's going to look great on top of my Pionier Leutnant mannequin.

Quote by NSDAP Sammler View Post
    Stamping says "Maria Damm, Werne a. d. L." (a. d. L. = an der Lippe).
    Fantastic!! That's a great set of eyes you must have. For the life of me, I couldn't quite make it out, but I believe you're absolutely correct now that I've given it another look with the 'scope. Thanks so much for helping to solve the mystery - truly a gent and a scholar!

-DF

?

Please show the Pioneer Lt.

I enjoy beautiful things.

Tim

Quote by DerFunker View Post
    Thanks, Tim, for having a look and taking the time to comment. I also feel very confident in this cap now, and it's going to look great on top of my Pionier Leutnant mannequin.

Fantastic!! That's a great set of eyes you must have. For the life of me, I couldn't quite make it out, but I believe you're absolutely correct now that I've given it another look with the 'scope. Thanks so much for helping to solve the mystery - truly a gent and a scholar!

-DF
    Thank you for the nice compliment. It really wasn't that easy, but with a little imagination and the help of the Google search engine, it worked and of course it's always nice when you can help other people!

Quote by Tim030 View Post
    Please show the Pioneer Lt.

I enjoy beautiful things.

Tim
    Here's the full mannequin with the sidecap that started this thread. As requested.

-DF

?

Looks like a very nice second lieutenant (Leutnant) full ensemble.

Congrats Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast