Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reshaping a Visor

Article about: Hey fellas i thought it would be a great idea to start a thread about reshaping a visor. I think its going to be interesting if everyone can share their ideas,thoughts or experience in one t

?

Default Reshaping a Visor

Hey fellas i'm new in collecting visors and i still have much to learn,so i thought it would be a great idea to start a thread about reshaping a visor.
    I think its going to be interesting if everyone can share their ideas,thoughts or experience in one thread.
    Is it possible to reshape a visor!?;What methods should or shouldn't be used. ; and so on.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reshaping a Visor
    P
    Many

IMO, this belongs In the Restoration and Refurbishing section.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ripper--

Regarding reshaping, do you mean the Vulkanfiber visor itself, or the body of the cap?
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

The body of the cap!
    Last edited by Ripper; 01-21-2018 at 08:13 PM.

If you are careful, you can use steam.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    If you are careful, you can use steam.
    I agree, this would be my chosen method. The best is to use a boiling kettle on a stove top (an electric one will keep switching off) as you can use the spout to direct the steam.

If the hat is particularly out of shape it is useful to rig some method of holding it in the desired shape whilst applying the steam. An example is to thread twine with a needle through the inside of the headband so that it can be tightened to hold the shape then once you have finished cut it and pull it out. If you are careful it will leave no visible trace.

The guard phrase here is "care and moderation", do not apply too much heat or get anything too wet.

Once done just rest the hat in a dry spot at warm room temerature and let it dry naturally. Any material that appears to sag slightly when damp should tighten up again as it dries, this is also a good time to use a soft clothes brush to remove surface muck. You will be surprised just how much you can achieve this way without any chemicals at all.

However, be cautious and try to be sure that you will not damage anything delicate but most natural materials will tolerate this treatment.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

It would depend entirely upon why you would wish to re-shape a visor in the first place. Most tend to keep their shape perfectly well, but I have seen examples that have been re-shaped (and ruined in the process) for no other reason than the current owner has tried to obtain that rather 'rakish' look which was very much in favour with some service personnel. Just placing a cap on a display head and leaving it there for a good while can entice it back into shape... or even a stiff ring of card inserted inside can also help. Attempting to straighten out a fold or 'kink' in a peak can be extremely risky, and is probably best left alone.

An old German police cap from the early 50's which I recently obtained...

Cheers,
    Steve.

Reshaping a Visor

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    It would depend entirely upon why you would wish to re-shape a visor in the first place.
    Exactly Steve, and I take no issue at all with your point.

From the original question I take it as read that there would be some need to improve the appearance of a piece that has perhaps languished in the bottom of a box or drawer thus being forced into a totally wrong shape.

I would never advise "re-shaping" for reasons of basic aesthetics and I agree that trying to correct kinks or creases in the actual peak (visor) is very risky indeed.

Thanks for the point of clarification

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

I would like to thank all of you guys for posting and giving this thread a great start!
    Guess i didnt start the thread the best way i apologize for that!So let me clear what i had in mind.
    My idea for reshaping came from a visor i had my eyes on(pictures below)As said by Watchdog it was forced into a totally wrong shape.Now i already bought a great Pekuro visor thats in a great shape,but i still thought someone might find this thread helpful in the future.And mr. stonemint suggested i should start a threat,so here we are.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reshaping a Visor   Reshaping a Visor  

Reshaping a Visor  

Quote by Ripper View Post
    I would like to thank all of you guys for posting and giving this thread a great start!
    Guess i didnt start the thread the best way i apologize for that!So let me clear what i had in mind.
    My idea for reshaping came from a visor i had my eyes on(pictures below)As said by Watchdog it was forced into a totally wrong shape.Now i already bought a great Pekuro visor thats in a great shape,but i still thought someone might find this thread helpful in the future.And mr. stonemint suggested i should start a threat,so here we are.
    Well with that one the situation is exactly as we have disussed here. What is required is a little rolled tissue paper or shaped soft sponge packed behind the eagle/front of the crown together with Steves ring of cardboard and dummy head (one with a flat top would ideal) plus just a touch of steam and I think the results will be excellent. Remember to be gentle and not forceful!

If you go ahead please show us!

Regards

Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast