Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

SS Kepi for Review and Comment

Article about: Friedrich - on the inside top of my Kepi I can read 'Wasser......" which i guess reads wasserdicht or waterproof, there is also other lettering but well worn so unable to read.Looks lik

?

Default Re: SS Kepi for Review and Comment

Friedrich - on the inside top of my Kepi I can read 'Wasser......" which i guess reads wasserdicht or waterproof, there is also other lettering but well worn so unable to read.Looks like a real early Kepi with no RZM tag and as I noted above the chinstrap has an ss marking on the underside of the strap but now Im afraid to remove the side buttons .
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Kepi for Review and Comment
    P
    Many

Quote by Horst View Post
    Friedrich - on the inside top of my Kepi I can read 'Wasser......" which i guess reads wasserdicht or waterproof, there is also other lettering but well worn so unable to read.Looks like a real early Kepi with no RZM tag and as I noted above the chinstrap has an ss marking on the underside of the strap but now Im afraid to remove the side buttons .
    Horst
    Wasserdicht is surely right and your cap is surely authentic. Do not dig around in these things, as you will only destroy them. Yours is a nice Montur. An RZM tag is more the exception than the rule in these Shaftmuetzen, but they do surely exist, as I illustrated one here. In any case, I cannot find my Kupper SA kepi, as it is somewhere in my thousands and thousands of poorly filed images. Horst's cap could well be a Kupper, too granted its velvet gusset structure....

It only matters that the thing is made prior to 1945, and all the rest is quite secondary.

I wish I were Wasserdicht, but I am not.

Ich bin nicht dicht..... as one says.

I am busily reading the Herstellungsvorschriften, which do not have much on headwear, but which are nonetheless quite interesting. The volume is more revealing of RZM tags and marks on cloth as much as anything.

It would also break the hearts of the "textbook" dogmatists, who imagine that regalia was made in a 21st century, neo Taylorite means of standardization. It is entirely true that these regulations do specify how to make something, but they also leave considerable latitude for the execution in key ways. How sad that many of the self anointed cap gurus and savants on the other sites do not read German, do not really understand the craft and art of tailoring, and especially have no inkling of what is in these documents of the period.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Kepi for Review and Comment 

?

F-B, thanks for your insight relative to the ss Kepi.
    Here is my SS Allgemeine EM -

Horst
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Kepi for Review and Comment   SS Kepi for Review and Comment  

SS Kepi for Review and Comment   SS Kepi for Review and Comment  

?

Front view
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Kepi for Review and Comment  

Yours is a Lubstein of ca. 1938-ish make, I believe. That is, eReL by another name. Despite what the noted cap book says, Lubstein made all kinds of NSDAP and its branches caps.

Happy headwear.

Any other real kepis to be seen here or not?

The participants here are dwindling, I guess.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Kepi for Review and Comment  

?

F-B - Vielen Dank for the interesting information - I would have one last request although Im not selling I would like to know what the approx current value of these two are - Nochmals Danke

Horst

"The participants here are dwindling, I guess."
    I'm afraid you are right. The threads are cyclically unfulfilling and little new is added.
    The historical context of these artifacts seems to me to be of little interest to most and virtually every thread ends up, if it didn't start there, with the question eventually posed here: "how much is it worth?"
    Why would one root through files and documents, scan and post material when it is readily apparent from the response that one might as well email that pertinent data to the four or five collectors who might actually be interested in the information?
    I still view all the SS threads in the hope of seeing the new photographs and information that once marked the early days of the militaria fora but, as B. B. King sang: "The thrill is gone."
    d'Alquen

I am the first to admit that I repeat myself, but I have done my earnest best to keep things on a level somewhat above " what is this 'scull [sic]?'" or "kill the dealer, smash him in...." as obtains elsewhere. In any case, when you send out your email distribution of new facts and images, please include me, if I am considered above the salt?

Historical inquiry versus anitquarian-ism, i.e. button collecting, is the issue and the former is losing out to the latter across the board. Let me state my first principle: that the only way to understand the artifacts is via their story, their context, the institutions and persons that created and used them. But this is an arduous process, which denies instant gratification, and is thus eschewed.

But you are right, dear colleague, that the light that penetrates the smoke hereabouts has gotten quite weak, which is simply a reflection of the gathering dark ages in the 21st century, despite the marvels of Google and whatnot. Democratization is not always a force for good when things devolve to the mob, which the ancients well understood. I think the mob got the better of these sites rather early on, in fact.

If you know of a site that has more merit, please tell me.

Quote by Horst View Post
    F-B - Vielen Dank for the interesting information - I would have one last request although Im not selling I would like to know what the approx current value of these two are - Nochmals Danke

Horst
    I am not the one to guess prices, but in my experience the kepis are sadly undervalued, and are much, much more rare than the post 1935/6 black peaked caps. I also think the price of the latter has declined with the economic crisis as the militaria market has fizzled, or not. Since the peaked cap is a Lubstein, perhaps it will excite the taste for same among collectors, though it is not obvious to most eyes that said cap is a Lubstein cap.

Maybe someone else is an expert on prices. I do not attend militaria shows, which perhaps better reflect the market of these things than do the glamor websites....

?

F-B -Thanks for your honest reply ,as stated in the above I do not intend to sell either cap have had these for years and I also do not attend shows or take the time to scan over dealers sites, so I simply asked the question for my own inquisitiveness. If asking "how much is it worth" is" unfulfilling" as d'Alquen indicates than I apologize - although what he states is true on many occasions as members post an item and their only question is "What is the value" then in the next breath its on the "For Sale Forum".
    Once more thanks & lets hope the topic continues in an educational manner. attached im the full SS outfit .

Horst

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast