Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Anti Gas display

Article about: Hi everyone, just put this display together showing British anti-gas equipment used by civilians 1939-45. Clockwise from left, a 1939 dated babies anti gas suit, an ARP gas rattle, a gasmask

Default Anti Gas display

Hi everyone, just put this display together showing British anti-gas equipment used by civilians 1939-45.

Clockwise from left, a 1939 dated babies anti gas suit, an ARP gas rattle, a gasmask for a small child, civilian duty gasmask (used by ARP wardens, rescue workers etc), Service type respirator (issued to firemen, police and others) civilian gasmask issued to asthmatics, with bag, boxed respirator issued to most adults and older children.

I think its incredible to consider the logistics and cost of making sure every person in Britain was protected. This involved the rapid manufacture and mass issue of millions of masks in the period 1938-39, together with public information and training programmes. By the outbreak of war, virtually everyone had a mask and knew how to use it. The government did an incredible job.

Any comments welcome.

Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anti Gas display  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Anti Gas display
    P
    Many

A complete collection, and very nicely displayed. Love the civilian respirator for asthmatics. You really don't see many of those around at all.
    There's something iconic about gas masks from the Second World War, especially when it comes to the Home Front. That even babies needed protection is a perfect testament to the indiscriminate horror of war, if ever there was one.

B.B.

?

ye great display and collection, i remember as a young kid of 5 yo going to football matches and the old gas rattles being used you would often see these being rattled about at the footy

Thanks for the comments. I certainly find the children's gas masks to be especially evocative. I have been explaining gas masks to my four year old daughter this evening. It is really disturbing to imagine her in danger from poison gas. I was able to reassure her that this was history and would not effect her- parents in 1939 could not offer the same consolation. It must have been a frightening time, even before the bombs started to fall.

?

Superbly displayed and as ever, beautifully photographed. Well done and thank you for sharing Doug.

Carl

p.s. I honestly believe that many museums could learn a lot from how you display your collection.

Your kind words are appreciated Carl.

Here is the gas mask for asthmatics. It has an outlet valve on the front to make breathing easier. This one is dated 42, I suspect that this type of mask was a late introduction (most civilian masks are dated 1937-39).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anti Gas display  

?

Doug! So impressive. Your still shot is museum quality and the items are very nice. These are intriguing pieces of a not so pleasant time and warranted preservation. I salute you for the pride of ownership. Love the black and white pictures behind. Great touch.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Thanks very much Rossi.