Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Antique haul - summer holiday edition

Article about: Even when I am on a holiday break with friends I still gotta budge in time for the antique shops! Pretty satisfied with the haul this time. Nice wide range of items! All I got Austin champ g

?

Default Antique haul - summer holiday edition

Even when I am on a holiday break with friends I still gotta budge in time for the antique shops!

Pretty satisfied with the haul this time. Nice wide range of items!

All I got
    Austin champ grille with bullet hole and insignia, 2 pounder tank casing + mystery ww1 German casing - ww2 tropical ointment tin - ww1 named Scots medal grouping with badge and photo of soldier - ww2 Scottish named home guard gas mask respirator canister- post ww2 British armoured goggles for a land mine detector user - ww2 royal engineers cap badge and RASC badge plus post ww2 Australian paratrooper patches - 1940 dated British wire cutters - 1990 second edition British survive to fight book for the S10 gas mask

All this for a combined total around £180-200 so I am pretty chuffed! Still need to research the ww1 grouping as the photo is dated June 1915 so I don’t know if he survives the war

Okay Luftwaffe 1941 you better be running out of antique shops by this point right?!?

Cheers
    John

Antique haul - summer holiday editionAntique haul - summer holiday editionAntique haul - summer holiday edition

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Antique haul - summer holiday edition
    P
    Many

Well done John.

Mart

A nice haul, now get yourself on the National Archives website and get some researching into those medals done while all the downloads are completely free of charge (due to Covid).

Cheers,
    Steve

Nice bit of shopping there

I especially like the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) group.

The colour of the Champ grille is evocative of the SAS "Pink Panther" but of course they were not the only troops to use that colour in desert conditions. The remains of the gold crown formation sign could possibly be "British Troops Aden" (where the Austin Champ was used) but from this pic I can't make out enough of the other to hazzard a guess. Can you see more with the naked eye?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Here are some close ups. The original owner said something for London but I can’t remember which one. Also there is a lime green coloured insignia behind the crown

Also pictured of bullet hole

Antique haul - summer holiday editionAntique haul - summer holiday editionAntique haul - summer holiday edition

Hmm, I think I can see a blue backround so possibly 54 (East Anglian) Bde. However, it became a TA formation after WWII and wad totally disbanded in the late '60s. It did include all three battalions of the Royal Anglian Regiment and as a young Tom I knew a crusty old Sgt in the Royal Anglians who had a Radfan bar on his GSM 1962 (amongst a total of five if I recall correctly) so who knows?

It does look as though it was painted over with the pink cammouflage which would be normal for operational security. Also it is not unusual even today when a formation is deployed to make up equipment defficiencies from units not being deployed so I don't find it strange that TA units might have been "plundered" of their vehicles which historically always tended to be in better condition than those in regular units as they had been kept in drill halls and polished up like fire engines unlike the vehicles in regular formations which had been "well used".

Regards

Mark

Apart from that I am guessing really

Can you make out anything of the other sign?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

I think you are spot on with the 54 east Anglian division!

I really want to try work out what that lime green badge behind it is

Edit - looking at the lime green I feel inclined to say it matches up pretty well with the 54 east Anglian division as well just smaller in lime green

Also one thing to add is the brown paint added on top of both sets of markings

?

The brown colours squares are a similar colour to This land rovers markings

Antique haul - summer holiday edition

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Also one thing to add is the brown paint added on top of both sets of markings
    Absolutely par for the course! I have used Landrovers on which the paint was as thick as the metal.

"Tom" will never waste valuable Beer time stripping back the old paint before applying the new anyway, "but Sarge, you told me to paint it, you never said anything about stripping it"

Do you know where that Para Regt unit was photographed? To me it has more of a Cyprus feel to it

Regards

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast