Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A few swiss, a few german, a few french

Article about: Hello everyone, Tag zusammen, Grüezi Miteinand, I just joined this forum today. I've been collecting helmets for 20 years now, and today, due to a random GIS i found a thread here which conv

That Dent in the WWI German helmet is enough to make for a Fine headache! I like the way you've got everything displayed-very impressive!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A few swiss, a few german, a few french
    P
    Many

?

Great looking collection. I'm really liking the Baden Haube
    I have a M96 Landwehr version
    Welcome to the forum!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hoi Neil,

it took me almost as long to acquire the glass heads as it did the helmet collection itself! No, they're not padded in any way, they're just glass. I dont know where you live, but if you're in the US i got them at Pier1 imports

Recycled Glass Head | Pier 1 Imports

Downside: its a hassle to move when you move houses. Also, they're rather "tall" and so you put htem up to high you cant see the helmet its displaying any longer. So that's a bit of a limitation they really only work at eye level or lower.

Additionally, some of the swiss tschakos and one of the pickelhauben are shrunk/too small for them, and dont fit. i tore a liner finger when i didnt realize it was too small and stretched it a bit too far. So they're not ideal for very small or very old things which may've shrank over the years.

I do really like them however, and it makes the collection somehow more dignified. They display any steel or kevlar helmet very well.

Additionally, its been said (i forget where i read this, kaisersbunker maybe?) that over time some leather helmets will slowly crush under their own weight if they're not supported. So some sort of stand is a must for the pickelhauben.

i just ordered some traditional helmet stands which are just posts with padding, which'll work better for the smaller 19th cenutry pieces.

?

I have gotten several of the glass heads from that same enterprise!!!
    I actually turned one into a plasma lamp. What can I say, but electronics is my life

Semper Fi
    Phil

superb Headgear collection Glenn with a lot of thought gone into the display's ,well done ,i look forward to seeing more
    thanks James

Dear glennsche,

Would like to display my things in such a way like you. However with small children you have to hide them inside closed cupboards

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

?

Been there and done that and still working it Alter. With 4 kids I'm still keeping everything on the higher shelves.I have to keep my display case locked just because I know from the snotty finger marks on the glass they are still peering in wanting to just get their fingers all over my stuff. ROTF!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by Alter Musketier View Post
    Dear glennsche,

Would like to display my things in such a way like you. However with small children you have to hide them inside closed cupboards

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    Servus Alter Musketier,

Ja klein Kleinkinder habe ich auch.

Oddly tho, my daughter has ZERO interest in the helmets!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2