Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flying Helmet

Article about: Hi, Found a huge amount of WWI documentation in my grandads loft recently which I will upload. However, I also found this flying helmet (suspect its WWII?). Could anyone tell me what it is?

Default Flying Helmet

Hi,
    Found a huge amount of WWI documentation in my grandads loft recently which I will upload. However, I also found this flying helmet (suspect its WWII?). Could anyone tell me what it is? Thanks

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flying Helmet   Flying Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flying Helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum Nick.

Could you provide more and clearer photos. Are there any marking on the leather cap? Maybe on the inside?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Nick, welcome to the forum.

I’m not sure about the age or country of origin, but it’s interesting that there appears to be castle turrets of minarets on the press stud.
    Last edited by Willmore; 02-01-2021 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Duplicate information.

Hi,
    My Grandfather fought at Ypres and other locations during WWI. The story was he swapped it for chocalate. However, I have always wondered and thought it was WWII. He had POW's working on his farm in WWII so it might be German? I have found loads of interesting documents etc from his time in WWI which I plan to share but this flying hat has always puzzled me.Flying Helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flying Helmet   Flying Helmet  

Flying Helmet   Flying Helmet  

Flying Helmet   Flying Helmet  

Hi Nick,

I’m not 100% sure, but with the better photos you posted, I’d say it’s a Mk1 RFC (Mark 1 Royal Flying Corp) Flying Helmet.

Flying Helmet, leather: RFC | Imperial War Museums

WW1 Period RAF RNAS RAF Leather Flying Helmet.

More photos from the second link (incase the link dies).

Description -

WW1 Period RAF RNAS RAF Leather Flying Helmet.

A very good classic example of the Great War polished brown leather flying helmet. This example is tailored with padded ear rolls and ear flap secured by three correct open pattern press studs. The front folding peak also with press stud. The interior with half blanket lining and complete with original leather chinstrap and buckle.

Flying Helmet  

?

Great work Willmore.
    Looks like a winner to me.

To the OP,
    That is a very nice item you got passed down to you.
    Try and treat the verdigris. A Q-tip at a time.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thank you very much chaps. The story would seem to be true then! That is great. Happy to post the related images on here if you want? There is all his items (medals, etc....what is very interesting though is he kept everything including de-mob documents etc.)

It’s sound a like you have an amazing collection of things from your Grandfather. I would definitely like to see more and I’m sure the other guys would too!

That’s interesting to hear your grandfather had POWs working on his farm too.

Here is a list of all POW camps in the UK during WW2, maybe you can see where the prisons that worked the land were based.

Every prisoner of war camp in the UK mapped and listed | News | theguardian.com

?

what would one use to treat, green grease with? / verdigris?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast