Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GJ Jaeger

Article about: I finally completed this GJ Jaeger display. All is original except the shirt, G43 stock and the boots that are converted Swiss. I have original Bergschue but they simply do not fit and regul

Default GJ Jaeger

I finally completed this GJ Jaeger display. All is original except the shirt, G43 stock and the boots that are converted Swiss. I have original Bergschue but they simply do not fit and regular size mannequin. My intention was to create a late war Italian front impression with elements of tropical clothing mixed in. The Windbluse is a pretty ubiquitous Gebirgsjäger uniform item but also something that was distributed more widely later in the war as Tarnung. The trousers are tropical, the socks a home made item from the period, the cap is an earlier fine wool example with Edelweiss hand sewn in black thread. The Kammer and Eispickel are both marked for the 137 Regiment. The hardest bit to find? The two buckle extensions that allow the Rucksack to be attached to the ammo pouches. Neil HeverGJ JaegerGJ JaegerGJ JaegerGJ JaegerGJ Jaeger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement GJ Jaeger
    P
    Many

Hello, nice puppet !
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Real men don't wear plaid...
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hey Danmark - Das ist ein Hemd mit Bayerischen farben - nicht kariertes! : )

Needed some hemp climbing rope! GJ Jaeger

?

Just a hint, the Gebirgsjäger would not wear the big backpack when climbing or moving in alpin terrain. It makes them slow. Therefore they had the small mountain backpack. Especially in Italy as you mention, the big backpacks would not be on the man, but back in the second line.
    The attacking (also climbing) unit would proceed with as less as possible equipment, followed by units preparing a safe route and finally the carrier units bringing backpacks, ammunition and food.

I've based the display on numerous photos showing GJ members on the move with full packs. Here is an example.
    GJ Jaeger

?

Please build your Gebirgsjäger as you wish, as mentioned, it is just a hint as you mentioned you wanted to have an Italian front GJ.
    I had not in mind to offend you.

The 5th Geb.Div. was in Italy from December 1943 to the end. Later some more mountain units (Hoch 3 and Hoch 4) were also on the southern front.
    After the arrival the mountains were not that high, that ice axes and hammers would be needed. Retreating through Italy they were moved to the Alps near the French boarder having their mountain equipment in full use.

Most combat situations in the war diary of this division show the attack group with small or no backpacks and the carrier groups with big ones…

By the way your pic seems to be a training in the Alps, as some of the peaks seem to be familiar to me. Do you have a date and a location on the photo?

vk4501, although I don't have access to my books at the minute, I have seen this photo attributed to members of either 1 or 4. Gebirgs Division in the Kaukasus in 1942.

I did find the same photo online too -

Stock Photo - German gebirgsjager (mountain infantry) on a peak in the Caucasus at about 3000 metres, World War II
    German gebirgsjager (mountain infantry) on a peak in the Caucasus at about 3000 metres, World War II, Stock Photo, Picture And Rights Managed Image. Pic. DAE-BA061498 | agefotostock

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GJ Jaeger  
    Last edited by Willmore; 03-01-2023 at 01:48 AM.

Will, Correct, that is Kaukasus. NH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast