Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Grouping to RKT Dietmar Wahl

Article about: I’ve had this grouping for years but have never posted it. Mainly because I didn’t want to spend the time necessary to type enough to do it justice. In particular, writing out a translat

TWS
    ?

Default Grouping to RKT Dietmar Wahl

I’ve had this grouping for years but have never posted it. Mainly because I didn’t want to spend the time necessary to type enough to do it justice. In particular, writing out a translation of the account on how Wahl earned the Knight’s Cross felt onerous. I will provide a brief summary. The grouping contains Wahl’s commissioning certificate to Leutnant, his promotion document to Oberleutnant, his Sportabzeichen and Reiterabzeichen award booklets, an account of how he earned the RK, a letter of condolence to his widow from his regimental commander (RKT Kurt Faulhaber), his Hero’s Death document, some newspaper clippings, and a number of photos, mostly portraits. Notable is a posthumous photo studio touch-up to reflect his rank of Major but they did not airbrush in the Knight’s Cross.

In late July 1943 Wahl was commanding I. Bataillon, Grenadier-Regiment 282, 98. Infanterie-Division in the Kuban bridgehead. The Red Army launched a huge attack against the heights Northwest of Krymskaja, where Wahl’s regiment was defending. The Soviet forces were overwhelming, attacking with Infantry and about 100 heavy tanks in the sector of Wahl’s regiment after a bombardment by approx. 100 artillery batteries, 30 Katyushas (rockets), and 200 aircraft.

About 20 Soviet tanks had overrun his position and enemy infantry in regimental strength had broken into his depleted battalion’s sector. Wahl realized the threatening danger to the entire sector of his regiments’ front and knew he has to hold under all circumstances down to the last man. Wahl realized that he had to counterattack to save the situation. Ignoring the heavy enemy fire, Wahl sprang from man to man and talked courage into each of his exhausted soldiers. His example rallied his men and with “Hurrah!” his small flock stormed forwards. The sudden counterstroke surprised the Soviets and they were thrown back. Wahl immediately built a new resistance line and distributed all still-functioning weapons. As the Soviets recovered from their surprise and stormed his positions anew, he and his men “gave them a bloody head.” The grenadiers hung tough in their position against all attacks until German reinforcements could arrive and the danger of a breakthrough could be finally be averted.
    Daylong stood Wahl in the forwardmost line and his shining example gave his men new strength to carry on until he himself was badly wounded. This decisive defensive success, is acknowledged through the bestowal of the Knight’s Cross.

*Wahl died on August 13th, 1943 and the RK finished its approval process and was awarded on August 29th. He never got to wear it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grouping to RKT Dietmar Wahl   Grouping to RKT Dietmar Wahl  

Grouping to RKT Dietmar Wahl   Grouping to RKT Dietmar Wahl  

Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grouping to RKT Dietmar Wahl
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

Additional items in the grouping.

Grouping to RKT Dietmar WahlGrouping to RKT Dietmar WahlGrouping to RKT Dietmar WahlGrouping to RKT Dietmar WahlGrouping to RKT Dietmar Wahl
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Hi Todd.

Nice group and story behind.

Thanks for share.

Regards
    Santi

Hello Tod.

Thank you for sharing such an interesting group and account of the action that Dietmar was awarded the Knights Cross for.

Kind regards,

Will.

TWS
    ?

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    Hi Todd.

Nice group and story behind.

Thanks for share.

Regards
    Santi
    Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hello Tod.

Thank you for sharing such an interesting group and account of the action that Dietmar was awarded the Knights Cross for.

Kind regards,

Will.
    You are very welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Holy Smokes bud...thats an " Abbondanza " of Provenance all on 1 officer
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Seems like a nice lad!
    Pitty he was wasted...
    Nice grouping, still.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Excellent grouping sir. Thanks so much for sharing and telling his story. Splendid indeed.

Tim

?

Many thanks for the insight.
    Cheers,
    Colin