Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Heer Veterinarian Grouping

Article about: Here's a grouping I've never posted. Heer Stabsveterinär Hans Joachim Züge. Züge served as a veterinarian with 95. Infanterie-Division which mainly fought on the Ost Front. It seems to be

TWS
    ?

Default Heer Veterinarian Grouping

Here's a grouping I've never posted. Heer Stabsveterinär Hans Joachim Züge. Züge served as a veterinarian with 95. Infanterie-Division which mainly fought on the Ost Front. It seems to be a habit of his (like many Heer officers) to procure an enlisted Feldbluse for wear at the front. Although not the tunic that I have, there is an entry in his Soldbuch indicating the procurement of a used enlisted Feldbluse, (along with some riding boots!), so I know he did so at least twice. The reason I believe the tunic referred to in the Soldbuch is not mine is the shoulder boards on my tunic, which are for the lower rank of Oberveterinär. By the date of the procured tunic documented in the Soldbuch, he was already a Stabsveterinär. Anyway, it's a nice example of an issue M41 tunic adapted with addition of a green collar and his officer insignia. Curiously, he did not set it up for all of his awards, just the KVK I w/swords - the only breast award he had. Speaking of awards, IMO he seems to be fairly decorated for a veterinarian with the KVK I and II with swords, the frozen meat medal, and the EK II.

Also in the grouping is a very interesting photo album. More than half of the album covers time before his army service as a veterinary student - in Giessen as my research has indicated - which contains a lot of photos dedicated his time in a student association. Thanks to a colored card showing his hat, I was able to ascertain he was a member of Korps Teutonia, which practiced Mensur (akademisches Fechten), a ritualized form of fencing. Typical of this, Züge received his "Schmiss", the tell-tale traditional scar on the cheek. The other half of the album has photos on the Eastern Front, including a few showing what I believe to be the castration of a horse (!) I don't know how common it was for the Heer to employ the veterinary services to turn their male horses into geldings or not, but it may have been necessary to calm down high-tempered horses.

Heer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian Grouping
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Veterinarian Grouping
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

More photos:

Heer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian GroupingHeer Veterinarian Grouping
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

TWS
    ?

For many years I'd been conscious about the ritualized "fencing scars" that many German officers and nobility displayed, but I never looked much into it prior to obtaining this grouping. Turns out that it was not only nobility but also these student associations that were big into it. There are a lot more photos in the album around this theme.

Here's one article in case anyone else is curious (many more on the web).

The Traditional German Sword Fighting Art Called Mensur
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

First time I`ve heard about the "Korps Teutonia". Thanx for the history lesson and a mighty good haul!! I like it when findings are as well presented as this.
    Stig

Nice grouping, Todd.
    Thanks for share.
    Regards
    Santi

That is super cool! I love when stuff like this is so well documented.

TWS
    ?

Quote by bittaker View Post
    First time I`ve heard about the "Korps Teutonia". Thanx for the history lesson and a mighty good haul!! I like it when findings are as well presented as this.
    Stig
    Thanks Stig! There were a good number of those student associations. If not for the card showing the actual colors on his cap, I probably would not have been able to determine which one he belonged to. They all had their own unique pattern and I had to search through a substantial list in order to find the match.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Very nice Todd thanks for sharing it
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

A very interesting post and wonderful grouping as usual Todd! The article on Mensur sword fighting was also very interesting and certainly not for the squeamish.

Andy