Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How to catalogue an approx 700 pcs collection for display and for the Insurance company?

Article about: Any good ideas on starting the project? Cheers Jan

Jan
    ?

Default How to catalogue an approx 700 pcs collection for display and for the Insurance company?

Any good ideas on starting the project?

Cheers Jan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to catalogue an approx 700 pcs  collection for display and for the Insurance company?
    P
    Many

Default Re: How to catalogue an approx 700 pcs collection for display and for the Insurance company?

Hi

I keep a book in which I write a description of every item along with cost, who I bought it from and where and when.

I also catalouge the item by taking pictures which I place in a photo album so you have proof of ownership.

That said it is easy to do as you pick up the items, doing a back catalouge of 700 items may take a bit of time !!!

good luck.

Default Re: How to catalogue an approx 700 pcs collection for display and for the Insurance company?

hire someone who can do shorthand...

Set up an Excel spreadsheet. This works best. Once your items are entered you can sort them by category, price etc.

Excel is an excellent and simple program to use. Also, instead of taking individual photographs, use digital video. Down load the video to your computer and then you can make stills from the video for each individual piece. You do have a large collection Jan, that's going to take alot of time, but it needs to be done.

Jay

I want to thank you for sharing this information, I have $$$$$$$ of Iraqi Militaria that I have invested in. Insurance is the best way to go in protecting your investments.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Jan
    ?

Thanks for all the great advice here guys. I have just started the project by fotographing each item (using video too) Excel is great for catalagouing purposes. And Yes it will take a long time but it´s such great fun too getting the stuff organized.

Cheers Jan

Photographs are an easy way to recod a collection, setting value is difficult, as a receipt is of little value in a few years time, as the values are so fluid.
    I am not convinced that insurance is really that good af a way to protect a collection. If I had my collection stollen, and was paid full value for it, I doubt that I would be able to replace half of it before the funds were exhausted. That and the fact that insurance for my collection would be about what my collecting budget is, have kept me from using insurance. Instead, I have adopted methods to secure my collectin when I am away from home, sometimes placeing the collection on loan at a local museum.
    It is a good idea to have two copies of the inventory, one at hand to keep updated, and another at a remote location, incase the one at hand is distroied or stollen with the collection.
    Best
    gus

Jan
    ?

Quote by Gustaf B View Post
    Photographs are an easy way to recod a collection, setting value is difficult, as a receipt is of little value in a few years time, as the values are so fluid.
    I am not convinced that insurance is really that good af a way to protect a collection. If I had my collection stollen, and was paid full value for it, I doubt that I would be able to replace half of it before the funds were exhausted. That and the fact that insurance for my collection would be about what my collecting budget is, have kept me from using insurance. Instead, I have adopted methods to secure my collectin when I am away from home, sometimes placeing the collection on loan at a local museum.
    It is a good idea to have two copies of the inventory, one at hand to keep updated, and another at a remote location, incase the one at hand is distroied or stollen with the collection.
    Best
    gus
    Totally agree with U here! Thanks for your input!

Cheers Jan

I forgot to mention, Museums can be a very bad place to loan a collection, never allow a museum to use a donation form with loan added, as in a court of law, it is possible for a museum to change it back( a friend lost a valuable item because of trust he had in an unscrupulous curator) Also, if anyone ever loans anything to a museum, the loan document should have a specified time period, and not be an open ended loan, and when the period is up, either the items should be removed, or a new agreement signed.
    Best
    Gus