Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Iraqi Republican Guard Helmet

Article about: Picked this one up a few months ago, supposedly a bringback from a British veteran of the Gulf War. Internally in rather poor condition, missing the sweatband and chinstrap, but externally v

Default Iraqi Republican Guard Helmet

Picked this one up a few months ago, supposedly a bringback from a British veteran of the Gulf War. Internally in rather poor condition, missing the sweatband and chinstrap, but externally very presentable. It appears to have two layers of sand-coloured paint over the factory green, and features a single red triangle indicative of Republican Guard use.

Iraqi Republican Guard Helmet Iraqi Republican Guard Helmet Iraqi Republican Guard Helmet

B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Iraqi Republican Guard Helmet
    P
    Many

As I recall (I was in 7 Armd Bde at the time in question) this is typical of the helmets brought back from Op Granby. I actually don't think it is missing a sweatband as the Iraqi Army tended to wear them like this either as is or with a woollen watch cap or similar worn like a cap comforter. I traded mine with a Dutch friend when I used to be a regular visitor to the militaria fair in Arnhem (now defunct I think) as I wasn't much into helmets and it was really just a "bring back". In many ways now I wish I had kept it and the other stuff I had. I can't even recall what I traded it for. Probably some Soviet junk! Oh well!

It's a nice piece of modern history. Good find.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    As I recall (I was in 7 Armd Bde at the time in question) this is typical of the helmets brought back from Op Granby. I actually don't think it is missing a sweatband as the Iraqi Army tended to wear them like this either as is or with a woollen watch cap or similar worn like a cap comforter. I traded mine with a Dutch friend when I used to be a regular visitor to the militaria fair in Arnhem (now defunct I think) as I wasn't much into helmets and it was really just a "bring back". In many ways now I wish I had kept it and the other stuff I had. I can't even recall what I traded it for. Probably some Soviet junk! Oh well!

It's a nice piece of modern history. Good find.

Regards

Mark
    Some interesting background information, thank you. I cannot imagine being in the shoes of an Iraqi soldier issued with something like this. The ballistic protection they offered must have been nonexistent, though I suppose it would have been better than nothing.

B.B.

?

Nice helmet! The lack of ballistic protection and the red target on the head not the most desirable helmet for combat.
    Regards, Al

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Nice helmet! The lack of ballistic protection and the red target on the head not the most desirable helmet for combat.
    A bit like the tricolors on German helmets. History does like to repeat itself!

B.B.

?

Yes I thought the same thing. I curse the regulation that required soldiers to remove the tricolors. I'm grateful not all Germans followed orders strictly
    Regards, Al