Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

'Judenstern'

Article about: This is something a bit different to the stuff usually posted on the forum. Contentious to say the least and, some might argue, not really militaria at all. However, this item has a connecti

Default 'Judenstern'

This is something a bit different to the stuff usually posted on the forum. Contentious to say the least and, some might argue, not really militaria at all. However, this item has a connection with one of the darkest parts of our recent history, and I think it important that such things are shown and studied to impart the warnings they hold.

These patches, known as the 'Judenstern' (Jewish Star), were also referred to as 'distinguishing signs' by the German authorities. Starting in September 1941, it was decreed that all Jewish people within German-occupied territories must wear a distinguishing mark. This was implemented first in Germany and Austria, then within the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia (via a degree signed by Reinhard Heydrich on 1st September), and was gradually applied to all German-occupied territories, including France and Holland. The patch was to be worn on outer clothing at all times when in public, and was a requirement for all Jewish persons over the age of six. As a furtherance of the pain and anguish caused by this decree, wearers were required to purchase the patches themselves, from mainly Jewish sellers, at a price of 10 pfennigs each.

'Judenstern'
    "Whoever wears this sign is an enemy of our people" -- Parole der Woche, 1st July 1942

The example I have acquired is authentic, having passed UV and burn tests, as well as being of the correct weave and print. It is an issued example, worn by a Jewish person in either Germany or the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia (Czechoslovakia). The word 'Jude' printed in the centre is characteristic of German- and Czech-used patches. Patches used in various occupied territories were printed in their associated languages ('Juif' in French, 'Jood' in Dutch. Patches with the letter 'J' were issued in occupied Belgium).

'Judenstern''Judenstern''Judenstern'

Some photographs of such patches in wear.

'Judenstern''Judenstern''Judenstern'

Originally, they were intended to single out and stigmatise Jews within German-occupied territories. Initially, they had the exact effect the Nazis intended them to have. Jewish people were regularly harrassed and attacked in the streets, and faced constant prejudice and ill-treatment. Eventually, these patches would come to have the opposite effect. As the war turned against Germany, it became apparent that Jews were not the cause of the country's failings. The Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia were forced to ban hat-tipping toward Jews and other courtesies that became popular as protests against the German occupation.

Holding something like this in your hand is certainly a unique experience, and not one to be envied. It carries with it a sense of sadness, similar to that which I experienced when visiting the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp several years ago. Looking at shiny daggers and flashy uniforms from the Third Reich period is one thing, but items like this one show the true ugliness and outright evil that lay beneath all the pomp, regalia and posturing of the Nazi regime.

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'Judenstern'
    P
    Many

Good item and write up of history BB!!!. Thank you for posting.
    John

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    Good item and write up of history BB!!!. Thank you for posting.
    John
    Thank you, John. It's quite a bit apart from the usual fare here, but I'm glad others have found it enlightening.

B.B.

CBH
    ?

Great job on the write up on a very interesting TR item, that shows the evil that men can do.

?

An interesting pick up BB,
    Not something I have studied.
    Most, if not all I have seen were deemed fake.
    Yours looks unissued.

Does this one come with some type of provenance ?

It is definitely. something from the darker times of humanity.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Not just Jews who were singled out. There were six other colours for different groups who has fallen out of favour with the Nazis.

Nazi concentration camp badge - Wikipedia

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    An interesting pick up BB,
    Not something I have studied.
    Most, if not all I have seen were deemed fake.
    Yours looks unissued.

Does this one come with some type of provenance ?

It is definitely. something from the darker times of humanity.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Although it looks that way in the photos, this one was most certainly issued. You can see the remains of stitching in some places, and in-hand there is a lot of dirt and grime, particularly on the lower point of the star. The lighting I used was a little too bright, thus the clean appearance.

It was purchased from a reputable individual, but there is no provenance attached to it, unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately). All I know is that it was worn within Germany or Czechoslovakia.

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    Not just Jews who were singled out. There were six other colours for different groups who has fallen out of favour with the Nazis.

Nazi concentration camp badge - Wikipedia
    It is important to note that those badges were worn only in concentration camps, on the 'striped pyjamas'. The yellow star was worn on everyday clothing by Jews within the general populace and in ghettos. It is no less horrific, singling out human beings guilty of nothing more than being born within certain ethnic groups, but it's an important distinction to make.

B.B.

Totally agree BB. Good job, mate.

Regards

Santi

JMM
    ?

Great piece of history. Thanks for sharing.
    Once (like most of us, I guess) I've never had one in hand, and just out of curiosity, what's the size of the star (from the pics you posted of the patches in wear it looks quite big). And the fabric is thin or thick?
    Thank you.

Quote by JMM View Post
    Great piece of history. Thanks for sharing.
    Once (like most of us, I guess) I've never had one in hand, and just out of curiosity, what's the size of the star (from the pics you posted of the patches in wear it looks quite big). And the fabric is thin or thick?
    Thank you.
    The star is about 3.5 inches wide and tall, and is made of very thin fabric. It feels incredibly fragile in hand. You sometimes encounter them with extra fabric stitched to the back, meant to reinforce them, as they were regularly removed and restitched by their owners.

B.B.