Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Making a Display Case

Article about: I’ve finally been able to convince my parents to have some room to display some of my items, so I decided to make my own display case after no luck searching online for one I liked. I just

Default Making a Display Case

I’ve finally been able to convince my parents to have some room to display some of my items, so I decided to make my own display case after no luck searching online for one I liked. I just started making it today and I want to have it done by next weekend or sooner. I’ve not got anymore pictures than this one but I’ll keep the thread updated!

This is my first time making a case with miter joints so it may not be a work of art but hopefully it’ll turn out nice.

Bodhi

Making a Display Case

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Making a Display Case
    P
    Many

I like to spline my joints, it makes them much stronger.
    I also make the case and front in one piece, and then just cut the front off after the gluing process.
    This makes sure that the front and case fit properly.
    Ralph.

Making a Display Case
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks, I see what you mean about the joints I’ll see it I can do that. I want to have the door on the backside and have the glass permanently fitted on the front if that makes sense.

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    Thanks, I see what you mean about the joints I’ll see it I can do that. I want to have the door on the backside and have the glass permanently fitted on the front if that makes sense.
    I precut the grooves for the glass and back board in my wood before it is cut and mitered, I'll take some photos in a bit and post them.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Another thing that is quite nice is if you etch the glass, it is easy and the materials can be bought at any hobby store, just cover the glass with masking tape before fitting it to cabinet and cut the tape away with a X-acto knife of the design you wish, then pour on the substance and brush over the open area's, leave it for about 10 minutes and wash away the residue with cold water and remove the tape ! Good luck on your project and post it up when finished !! G
    Attached Images Attached Images Making a Display Case  Making a Display Case 
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

I’m having mine made by a framer here.
    This is for one of my football shirts but they’re the same as my militaria ones.
    They are lined with black felt.
    On the front will be a frame with UV protective glass with concealed magnets in the frame so they can be taken off and changed easily.

Making a Display Case

The only problem with etching the glass is that it hides what you are trying to display.
    I bought a couple of these for my Detolfs, but I decided to put them on the rear glass so that they don't interfere with the display.
    Ralph.

Making a Display Case

Etching the glass is a nice idea but as Ralph says I want the items inside as visible as possible. I plan on buying some UV glass but I willhave to wait until the week days because the place I’d get it cut is closed today.

TWS
    ?

Good luck Bodhi.
    I applaud you and Ralph and others who have the skill and patience (and tools!) to make your own. I choose the lazy way out and occasionally buy a display case - but not too often because doing it the lazy/expensive way consumes funds that could be spent on more militaria.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thanks! I did try to buy one but as you said it would cost too much money that could be spent on something to put inside the display case, and I was being picky and didn’t find one I liked.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast