Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Meet Tail Gunner Joe of the B-17G "Mrs Geezil"

Article about: Hello All, My 5'7" mannequin arrived yesterday and I got busy, Tried on all my uniforms. Then I dressed it up for my display to honor my uncle Joe. So 8th AF 384th Bomb Group, 545th Bom

?

Default Meet Tail Gunner Joe of the B-17G "Mrs Geezil"

Hello All,

My 5'7" mannequin arrived yesterday and I got busy, Tried on all my uniforms. Then I dressed it up for my display to honor my uncle Joe.

So 8th AF, 384th Bomb Group, 545th Bomb Squadron out of Station #106 Grafton Underwood airfield.

My uncle Joe flew multiple positions from Toggeler, Top Turret gunner, Waist gunner and then finished in the B-17 stinger as the Tailgunner, up until April 13th 1944 , When his B-17 Mrs Geezil was shotdown on the Schweinfurt mission. This was his 24th mission flown. After the Mrs Geezil exploded in mid-air after the attack ,He would parachute down into a field of German soldier who just happen to be on furlough . They were immediately taken prisoner. He spent the duration of the war in Stalag XVIIB.

In this display,I am using a set of British Type -C headset that I have a period photo of a B-17 crewmember using this type. Just wanted to step it up a bit!!!

He is wearing his full uniform, With a B-14 flight jacket and a set of A-4 flight suit with it tied at the waist with its sleeves. I know I have worn my coveralls like that on the flight line and I also didn't want to cover up that B-14 jacket. This mannequin came bald , so I got wig online and it showed up today. This helps with the fit of the B-1 summer flight cap my uncle was known to wear. I have several pic's of him wearing it and think I will replace the photograph next to him now with one of him wearing the B-1. And my daughter is making me a mustache for this guy..

Now I moved everybody around, and have Phil on the Left, My Aunt Annie in the middle, staying warm by the stove!! And my Uncle Joe on the right.

Now when I get those toes chopped off I'll add some boots to Joe.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 08-02-2020 at 07:43 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Meet Tail Gunner Joe of the B-17G "Mrs Geezil"
    P
    Many

That is a very cool display and nice honor to your uncle Joe. Thank you for sharing and paying attention to all the little details. Congrats!

On a side note I always find it funny that we need to use jr. size modern mannequins as nothing is able to fit the adult mannequins.
    John

?

Thanks John,

On that side note, I had to find the correct measurements to fit what I had. I have the 5'10" and knew that jacket wouldn't fit that, So looked into a 5'8" mannequin but the waist was to big, So I got the 5'7" and everything fit just right, Well except for the shoes/boots!!!

Note to self and anybody else who has to do this.. Try shoes on first and not last!!!!!

Now its all dressed up I'm going to keep it like this for a little bit and then I'll take it down to the bottom leg parts so I can chop the toes off and be able to get the private purchase buckle up ankle high shoes on it.

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Looking fantastic Phil. A long labor of love and tribute to your aunt and uncle. Took a long time but worth it. Well done!

Maybe get a glue on mustache like your Uncle had!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Looks great! Awesome tributes! Thank you so much for sharing it. I love that you've got their pictures next to them as well. It all makes for a nice display.

-Robyn

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Maybe get a glue on mustache like your Uncle had!
    Thanks Michael, This was a labor of love and respect for these two!!!
    As for the stache, My daughter has a Cricut machine that cuts vinyl and she is going to make me a mustache for Joe's display!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Looks very nice.. I like the corner exhibit.. Looks like the corner of an American barracks at an Airfield somewhere in England..

Smitty