Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'Mickey Mouse' Gas Mask

Article about: Hello folks. Hands down, this has to be my favourite respirator. There's a juxtaposition about the thing; the childish colouration, the toy-like appearance of it, coupled with grim wartime n

Default 'Mickey Mouse' Gas Mask

Hello folks.

Hands down, this has to be my favourite respirator. There's a juxtaposition about the thing; the childish colouration, the toy-like appearance of it, coupled with grim wartime necessity.
    This one is very much complete, with its box and retaining the pamphlet that would have been shipped with each and every one. For one reason or another, it also wasn't returned for the fitting of the arsenic prefilter as per 1940 regulations.
    They were the only civilian gas mask that could be returned postwar for money, and as such many were recalled and recycled. They're substantially rarer these days as a result, and I'm very pleased to own one.
    It's rather scabby, with scuffed eyepieces and a repaired tear to the facepiece, but it's very much 'all there' and a very surreal part of Home Front history.

Photos to follow.

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'Mickey Mouse' Gas Mask   'Mickey Mouse' Gas Mask  

'Mickey Mouse' Gas Mask   'Mickey Mouse' Gas Mask  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'Mickey Mouse' Gas Mask
    P
    Many

Nice one, I have one of these but mines missing the pamphlet and has the arsenic filter fitted. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Nice one, I have one of these but mines missing the pamphlet and has the arsenic filter fitted. Leon.
    I'd imagine the pamphlet can be acquired separately quite cheaply, if need be.

B.B.

These masks are so sort after,ebayers go nuts for them,yours is great and in good condition as well,also complete,well done and thanks for sharing..........!

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    These masks are so sort after,ebayers go nuts for them,yours is great and in good condition as well,also complete,well done and thanks for sharing..........!
    Appreciate the kind words!
    It's eBay I got it from, funnily enough! Probably the most sporadic auction I've ever seen. May try to acquire another example at one point that isn't damaged, so that I can display it safely.

B.B.

?

Thats in such better condition then mine!!

Dean O
    Canada

Quote by CampX View Post
    Thats in such better condition then mine!!

Dean O
    Canada
    Would love to see pictures of your example!

B.B.

?

Here is what is left of mine.
    Dean O
    Canada

'Mickey Mouse' Gas Mask'Mickey Mouse' Gas Mask

....even rarer is the cartoon cylindrical tin....I've only ever seen one....they have to be hyper rare.....

Quote by CampX View Post
    Here is what is left of mine.
    Dean O
    Canada

'Mickey Mouse' Gas Mask'Mickey Mouse' Gas Mask
    Regardless of its condition, it's a relic of the past, and it's good that you've saved what's left of it. I have a mask that's almost in the same state, but I can't bear to throw it out, as I feel I'd be throwing its story out with it.

B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast