Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My Collection: Three Years on a Budget

Article about: Hello. Since joining this forum, I've spent many an hour pondering which pieces in my collection I should share here next. No individual piece seemed interesting enough to warrant its own th

Quote by MAP View Post
    If I had that at age 21 I would have been ecstatic! Well done.

Your generation Is lucky. When we were young we didn't have there internet and forums....
    I don't think we'll ever appreciate just how big of a gift the internet has been. While hours of scouring history and reference books for research would have been rewarding in its own right, it truly is a blessing that things are far easier and more accessible now. It lends hope that more of my generation will pick up the mantle left by older collectors, and carry these items safely into the future.

B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Collection: Three Years on a Budget
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

The Internet and forums have created the opportunity where the sum is greater than the parts....1+1 =3 (unless of course the parts are, to say it nicely, "misinformed")
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I don't think we'll ever appreciate just how big of a gift the internet has been. While hours of scouring history and reference books for research would have been rewarding in its own right, it truly is a blessing that things are far easier and more accessible now. It lends hope that more of my generation will pick up the mantle left by older collectors, and carry these items safely into the future.

B.B.
    I think you have done really well for your novice years even allowing for the explosion of available/accessible reference material. As said above if I had a collection that good at age 21 I would have been very pleased, at that age I only had a shoe box full of loose cap badges and family medals.
    Also, it took me nearly 30 years to have a dedicated room as my "toybox" (living at home, army service, kids blah blah!!) so plenty time for that yet!

Keep up the good work "your country (hobby) needs you".

Regards

Mark
    PS Are you related to Slartibartfast
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I think you have done really well for your novice years even allowing for the explosion of available/accessible reference material. As said above if I had a collection that good at age 21 I would have been very pleased, at that age I only had a shoe box full of loose cap badges and family medals.
    Also, it took me nearly 30 years to have a dedicated room as my "toybox" (living at home, army service, kids blah blah!!) so plenty time for that yet!

Keep up the good work "your country (hobby) needs you".

Regards

Mark
    PS Are you related to Slartibartfast
    Thanks for the kind words! I intend very much to carry on, and – being British – keep calm in the process.

B.B.

EDIT: Watchdog, I'm a distant relation.
    Last edited by BrodieBartfast; 05-19-2017 at 10:40 AM.

CBH
    ?

Alway nice to see a young collector, keep up the good work.

Also thank you for Joining the forum, your support is appreciated.

A GREAT collection - & like you I have a 20mm shell with a poppy in it on my desk at work.
    The number of people who ask "whats that all about" really astounds me ...... there are some ignorant folk out there!

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by CBH View Post
    Alway nice to see a young collector, keep up the good work.

Also thank you for Joining the forum, your support is appreciated.
    Thank you, I'm happy to give it!

Quote by Danmark View Post
    A GREAT collection - & like you I have a 20mm shell with a poppy in it on my desk at work.
    The number of people who ask "whats that all about" really astounds me ...... there are some ignorant folk out there!

Regards, Dan
    The 20mm is more special to me than it normally would be. It was given to me quite a few years ago by my great grandmother, now passed on. She was a cook with the Welsh Border Group A.T.S. All the items on that shelf with it were hers, and I'm proud to have them.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    The 20mm is more special to me than it normally would be. It was given to me quite a few years ago by my great grandmother, now passed on. She was a cook with the Welsh Border Group A.T.S. All the items on that shelf with it were hers, and I'm proud to have them.

B.B.
    Sometimes it's the smallest or seemingly insignificant items that we value most.
    I have a small piece that was given to me by an old family friend on my 16th
    birthday. Because of who gave it to me, it's the one piece I will never get rid of.

You have a very nice collection, especially for only being at it for 3 years But it's
    your attitude that impresses me most. Keep up the good work.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Sometimes it's the smallest or seemingly insignificant items that we value most.
    I have a small piece that was given to me by an old family friend on my 16th
    birthday. Because of who gave it to me, it's the one piece I will never get rid of.

You have a very nice collection, especially for only being at it for 3 years But it's
    your attitude that impresses me most. Keep up the good work.
    Thank you, and don't worry, I will! I've had this fascination with the Second World War for as long as I can remember. Since I discovered the world of militaria collecting, I don't think a single month has passed where I haven't received something new in the post. To prove my point, another item for my collection of gas masks arrived just this morning.

Here's to many more years of this hobby, for all of us.

B.B.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast