Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My Skulls Of War

Article about: -- Code red, Warning this page is highly contagious. View images at your own risk. -- Since i was little my interested in skulls was big. History also played a huge part and was always curio

Dos
    ?

Default My Skulls Of War

-- Code red, Warning this page is highly contagious. View images at your own risk. --

Since i was little my interested in skulls was big. History also played a huge part and was always curious how things were back then. From the Golden Age of Piracy and the V.O.C. thru world wars I & II to the Vietnam War. All of these moments in history share one part. The insignia, flags and use of skulls. I never collected any of these things, but since about 3 years my interested to have some of these pieces of history grew larger. It is not an easy field to collect! A lot of fakes or fantasy pieces are present, But with a lot of time and building up knowledge thru this forum, others and reading books you can differentiate the good from the bad. My wishlist is still to large if you ask me, but i did manage to aqcuire some pieces over time. Yes this is addictive! To be the preserver - keeper of these objects satisfies me and i enjoy watching them on display. Below are some pictures of what i have collected so far. As you can see most of them are german. I fell in love when i saw these small and highly detailed pieces of skull insignia. I will be adding my latest additions here on this page.

My Skulls Of War

My Skulls Of War

Enjoy, And thanks for watching.

Dos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Skulls Of War
    P
    Many

Dos
    ?

This is one of my recent additions for the collection. I'm really happy about this one and having this piece made by my favorite maker makes me stoked!. This highly sought after piece of SS regalia by Deschler & Sohn was made possible by Aldo, Thank you. It still holds alot of it's original silver finish, Despite missing one of its prongs and being somewhat damaged. It fits perfectly in the been there look that i like. I was looking quite long for this one. The daily search on the internet in the field of collecting is something we probably all do, but finding that affordable and desirable piece is always a challenge.

My Skulls Of WarMy Skulls Of War

Today was a good day. A package from Russia arrived in the mail. I ordered this piece about 2 months ago. I deemed it was lost in transit since i did not get any updates from it anymore. This early Danziger skull is one of my favorite looking variants and the details speak for themselves! It's leaning a bit more sideways then the rest. It is made from a Zinc based material and the silver finish is completely gone.

Best Regards,

Dos

Dos
    ?

Today arrived something rather special. A Spanish Lusitania Cavalry skull, And also used later within anarchist groups in the Spanish Civil War. You don't see these to often and when you do it's most likely an cast ebay fake. This was the first one that looked right and thanks to Aldo i came across.

A Lot of reference photos and information is found here, Skull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regiment

The beautiful details make this collar badge almost macabre looking and something totally different in comparison to some of the badges i already own. Happy to add it to my collection!

That is a nice collection of skulls.
    I'm sorry I missed it earlier.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

very nice Dos. Here are two of my favorite photo's of a uniform with the insignia intact

Dos
    ?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    That is a nice collection of skulls.
    I'm sorry I missed it earlier.
    No worries mate, The collection threads will always be somewhat in the shadow of the Third Reich, Allied & Soviet Union sections.

Thank you for replying, appreciate it

Quote by Aldo View Post
    very nice Dos. Here are two of my favorite photo's of a uniform with the insignia intact
    Gracias, seƱor Aldo, That's a beauty man. Thanks for sharing! Never seen an example in a collection before. Only period photos of the uniform in wear on the web.

To bad my display cabinet is hard to photograph due to lighting and the positioning of it. I'm also not sure about how to display these pieces. I ordered some display stands and other things for in the cabinet but these will take a while to arrive. I will try to make some with a different camera/lens when the time presents itself to show the whole cabinet.

In the meantime i got some more recent acquisitions, but some of you have seen them already i think.

-Dos

100th Anniversary Badge of the IR 92 from Braunschweig:

Queen's Royal Lancers cap badge / Motto:

Edit: Typo

Dos
    ?

Got some new acquisitions! I have been waiting on a nice example of a panzer skull. These seem to be the easiest skulls you can find. Most of them that are available are made of metal/zinc and some even from one piece construction including the prongs. This early or pre WWII example is made from tombac material. It has nice quality prongs on the back and has a silver finish. I would really like to have a pair of these, but couldn't pass on this one. I love the good construction and fine details on it!

Early Panzer Totenkopf

And for comparison with my other collar tab skull that was also used as a StuG panzer skull:

My Skulls Of War

One i didn't anticipate on finding and buying really cheap. I'm happy with it since it looks a lot better in my opinion then the one i already have. The details are a bit more crude, but the patina and tarnish i like a lot more! I'm talking about the "Berlin Hoard" type of skull that has seen use as a traditional badge for the 5th Cavalry Regiment and in the Waffen SS.

More discussion and information on these type of skulls can be found here:

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

For comparison with the other one in my collection:

My Skulls Of War

See you on the next one

-Dos

Dos
    ?

I have made a new display stand for the skulls in my cabinet. It is made from wood that is spray painted in satin black and it has a ribbed cloth backing in bordeaux red. I was looking for some wooden decor framing in my local hardware store to have a base for the skulls, But none had an edge were they could be standing on. Believe it or not.. I came up with the idea of using the wooden stands from the board game "Scrabble". I ordered them separately online and bought the other supplies locally. (The cloth was something that i had laying around) The stand is not that big, but it should be enough for the time being. It has some room for expansion with the collection

I like period pictures and postcards with skulls that are worn on uniforms or that are shown on signs near buildings and equipment. Here are some that i have collected over the past few years. I have a lot more, but i don't know yet how i will be displaying them. I think that i will only show the ones i like the most and store the other ones. It takes up alot of room in my display cabinet!

My Skulls Of War

This is one of my most interesting postcards that i have. The potrait is from a member of the "Stahlhelm, Bund der Frontsoldaten". His name is Walter Steinbach. The visor was identified by Stonemint as an Leib Husaran Rgt 2 feldgrau visor. But what i find most interesting is the totenkopf that is worn between the two cockades on the visor. I have never seen one like this before!

-Dos

My Skulls Of War

?

I'm glad this got an addition. I missed it the first time around!!

Awesome collection of skull's Dos

Semper Fi
    Phil

Dos
    ?

Hi Phil, Thank you for the compliment! Appreciate it. The next additions are on its way, stay tuned

-Dos

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast