Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My WW1 collection and momentos of the Royal Naval Division.

Article about: After six years it’s about time I started showing off some of my WW1 bits made up mostly of battlefield relics. The collection used to be more extensive but due to moving house the collect

Default My WW1 collection and momentos of the Royal Naval Division.

After six years it’s about time I started showing off some of my WW1 bits made up mostly of battlefield relics. The collection used to be more extensive but due to moving house the collection had to be downsized and I have tended to concentrate more on areas that are relevant to the Royal Naval Division although, as you will see, there is one particular type of ordnance that I have a weakness for as well as some bits that I couldn’t let go.

Anyway, let’s start with those of unknown provenance: Wurfgranate-16, Rifle Grenade No. 24 Mk 1, Mauser M1898/05 Bayonet & Picekelhaube Model 1895.

The relevance of each of these:
    I used to have a relic Rifle Grenade No. 24 Mk 2 recovered from Passchendaele that I bizarrely passed on, instantly regretting doing so (what an idiot). This part fills the hole but wish I still had the original.

The Pickelhaube, is there a more iconic piece of WW1 uniform? My wife would never let me part company with this.

The Taube, my Grandfather received his first wound whilst serving with the RND from one of these, a shrapnel wound to the chest at Bully Grenay. Bizarre that he went through (Antwerp and then) the whole of Gallipoli without a scratch only to be wounded on a quiet section of the Western front.

The Butcher Bayonet, my Grandfather received two wounds, including a severe one to his thigh, at Passchendaele that were likely to have been inflicted by a member of this family of bayonets.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My WW1 collection and momentos of the Royal Naval Division.
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Very nice! I've been looking for a butcher myself! Really like that rifle grenade!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you. The Hales is a bit of a fraud really, somehow it has a (curious) hole in the body on the other side, not that it really detracts from the piece when it is displayed. I used to have a Sawback Butcher, actually half a Sawback, in very relic state but never really felt any ‘attachment’ to it.

Just getting all the bits out again...with a handful of additions. Things start getting a lot browner from here on in

Default The Dardanelles

No 65 Time & Percussion Fuse

With units of the Royal Naval Division taking part in the landings, the Division was the last unit to depart the Peninsula in 1916.

My Grandfather survived both the Second and Third battles of Krithia as his battalion was decimated. He contracted influenza shortly after and was evacuated for a short period. He suffered from terrible bouts of pneumonia for the rest of his life. At the end of the campaign only a handful of the original Antwerp men remained. One of my Grandfather’s few utterances “The Turks are the best fighters in the World”.

Great selection of ww1 items.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Very nice!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Default The Somme

SMLE, 18pdr Shrapnel Shell, Stielhandgranate M17 and Ubung

After evacuating Gallipoli the Royal Naval Division, now the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, moved to the Western Front and would make its name on The Ancre in capturing Beaucourt during November ‘16. My Grandfather returned to the Division following his chest wound a few days before the Division took Miraumont in February ‘17.

Stielhandgranate Ubung M17

Found in a Miraumont cellar, heavily corroded. The few flecks of the original red paint on the practise head didn’t survive the cleaning process unfortunately.

My Grandfather would shortly after suffer from Trench Fever and be evacuated back to England, the first time he had returned home since embarking for Gallipoli. The Division moved to Arras and took Gavrelle in ferocious street fighting.

My Grandfather married my Grandmother before rejoining the Division at Arras.

The wound stripe is from Bully Grenay.

MAP
    ?

More nice relics!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks MAP. Got to admit I am enjoying being able to get them all out again, in some cases it’s like meeting old friends (as well as a few new ones). Having an enforced break has given me new drive and I’m taking the chance to give some TLC to those in need. Next batch just about ready for the camera. My wife is very understanding...as long as I don’t get rid of ‘her’ Pickelhaube.

A new find, time to break out the citric acid I think...

Default Wipers

SMLE P1907 Bayonet, Mills Bomb No. 5, Eierhandgranate M17 n/A, Phosgene Gas Shell, Stielhandgranate Handle & Primer Box & Mauser M1898/05 “Butcher” Bayonet

Launching their assault on 26th Oct. the Royal Naval Division was positioned next to the Lekkerboterbeek, having the objective to cross the Paddebeek, the Canadians on the Division’s right. Advancing through mud up to their thighs it was realised that the Division needed to adapt its tactics. The RND was relieved by the 1st Division on 5th November having crossed the Paddebeek. Division casualties for the first 5 days of the action totalled 3,126 without the overall objective being achieved. Despite having to cross a battlefield littered with the enemy’s strongpoints only a further 165 would become casualties in the Division achieving all of its objectives.

My Grandfather received his bayonet wounds on the opening day of the battle and returned to England to recover. One of his few comments was regarding the mud of Passchendaele.

The RND moved to Cambrai and the near-on impossible positions at Welsh Ridge. On 30th December the Division came under attack from at least 15 enemy battalions but conceded very little ground. The defence received recognition at the very highest levels although it came at a great cost. Two battalions, including Howe, were disbanded in a reorganisation of the Division due to the losses suffered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast