Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Nasjonal Samling Collection

Article about: Evening! I thought some members might be interested in seeing some items from the collaborator Norwegian Nasjonal Samling party government of WWII. This stuff is fairly tough to find outside

?

Badge for the 8th and final Riksmote Rally in 1942...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nasjonal Samling Collection
    P
    Many

?

A couple of Rikshird insignias. First a pair of shoulder straps for a Sweitforer, or Captain. These are sew-on types that have the tress hand-sewn on.

And a wool armband. Interestingly, it seems this started life as a NS political armband, with the sun cross patch sewn to the wool and then the swords embroidered on to make it a Rikshird armband. The armbands were rarely, if ever, sewn into slip-on armbands, instead sewn right to the uniform...

?

The NS Sun Cross was also used on various civilian jewelry for members/supporters to show their support. As the party was never that highly supported, some of this stuff can be tougher to find. Here is a pair of cuff links with sterling marks bearing the 'puffy' enamel type emblems, unfortunately one is cracked, which is fairly common with this type of Norwegian enamel, but it does allow us to see the texture underneath that is often seen when more translucent enamels were used, such as in the stickpins posted earlier...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nasjonal Samling Collection   Nasjonal Samling Collection  

?

Luftvernet (Civil Air Defense) cap badge...this pattern was used during the war and I believe for a bit after, until they could be restruck with the crown. Obviously, during the rebuild, since there were no NS symbols, this wouldn't have been a priority to restrike.

Side-by-side with the post-war version with crown...

?

Gold Rikshird badge number 252 finish has worn down in spots to look silver. Sadly, there is no known surviving roster of recipients by numbers, nor is it known the criteria to receive this badge, but only about 20% of Hirdsmen earned the right to wear this badge (about 1300 of 5000).

These badges were also struck in silver for teens and bronze for pre-teens. Very tough badge to find...

Picture of badge in wear by Norwegian volunteer in the SS...

?

Membership pin of the NSKO, or Nasjonal Samling Kamporganisasjon (Battle Organization). This was a group established in 1934 and membership invites were limited to only the most active party members. All members had to swear a 7-point oath to Vidkun Quisling, and capped at around 4000 members in 1945. I haven't found out much about the organization itself, but I have found that this badge was numbered and issued with a book. The roster of recipients is still in existence, but it's extremely tough to get the list, the few who have it protect it out of a paranoia that fakers will use it for evil. I have not been able to acquire the list myself, but someone did share the entry for this pin.

This is a lower numbered pin to a member named Sverre, who was a troop leader in the Unhirden (youth Hird) in Oslo and joined the NSKO in February 1937. Here is the badge I managed to pick up:

Can anyone make out his last name?

?

Picked up a few more stickpins! Two membership, and one Unghird membership.

One of the membership is by the firm of J. Tostrup, one is merely silver marked. Sadly, the enamel is broken on the Unghird badge, which is fairly common with Norwegian enamel of the era

MAP
    ?

Nice additions to your collection Brig!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks MAP...slow and steady, but coming along. I can now appreciate the difficulties that our European brethren collecting US stuff overseas sometimes encounter...

MAP
    ?

So true Brig.

Some items are more readily available in some regions and harder to find in others. But prior to this interwebby internet, just imagine how hard it would have been for you to get even this far!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast