Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Peace in 1938

Article about: Hello folks. Having a soft spot for period newspapers, it wasn't going to be long before I acquired another one. This one is rather special, and a rather thought provoking piece. It concerns

Default Peace in 1938

Hello folks.

Having a soft spot for period newspapers, it wasn't going to be long before I acquired another one.
    This one is rather special, and a rather thought provoking piece. It concerns the Munich Agreement and the Anglo-German Declaration. Culminating with Chamberlain's famous 'Peace in our Time' speech. For those interested, an excerpt:

''The settlement of the Czechoslovakian problem, which has now been achieved is, in my view, only the prelude to a larger settlement in which all Europe may find peace. This morning I had another talk with the German Chancellor, Herr Hitler, and here is the paper which bears his name upon it as well as mine. Some of you, perhaps, have already heard what it contains but I would just like to read it to you: We regard the agreement signed last night and the Anglo-German Naval Agreement as symbolic of the desire of our two peoples never to go to war with one another again.''

If only. This newspaper shows that even to the last moment, the world was determined to find peace. Even then though, it was obvious that deep down everyone knew what was coming. Alongside messages of hope and cheerful cartoons, mentions of child evacuees and advertisements for air raid shelters. The world was on the brink, and it was about to tip over the edge for six long years.

This is a great piece of memorabilia, not least because it gives an intimate look into the political tensions of the time. Reading the words on the page; cautious optimism covering extreme nervousness, you can feel the emotion behind them, as fresh as if they were written yesterday.
    I already own several V.E. Day newspapers, and I feel that this one juxtaposes them perfectly. A snapshot look at the beginning, and at the end. The open and the close. I expect I'll now go on to hunt down period newspapers of famous events during the war, but the large amount of reproductions and facsimiles makes the hunt a difficult one.

I hope you all enjoy viewing these newspapers as much as I enjoy searching for them. I foresee a great many more in my collecting future!

Best regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Peace in 1938   Peace in 1938  

Peace in 1938   Peace in 1938  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Peace in 1938
    P
    Many