Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.

Article about: From Wikipedia because that was a handy source that I could cut and paste here: The Massacre of Feodosia refers to the killing of 150–160 wounded members of the Wehrmacht by soldiers of th

Thank you Todd for taking time to type up the translation of the letter and for posting this group.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.
    P
    Many

No worries Todd.

I totally agree with you and have no doubt about the fate of Alois. The letter states his wound was not life threatening, so maybe he was one of the unfortunate soldiers who was left to freeze on the beach (which left no trace), so that is why his cause of death is noted as bomb splinter.

I spent yesterday going through casualty cards for those who died during the Feodosia attack and have actually found evidence of murder and mutilation. Along with this there are many cases that state soldiers were found dead in or near the hospital after the Germans retook the town.

Here is an example I found. Ludwig was actually a member of the Staff Company in the same Regiment as Alois. What was he doing in Feodosia? Maybe he was wounded and in hospital, maybe he was visiting Alois, unfortunately we will never know.

Name: Ludwig Pfenning
    Birth Date: 5 March 1914
    Birth Place: Unteraltertheim B/Würzburg
    Military Unit: Stabskompanie Infanterie Regtiment 170
    Death Date: Between 28 December 1941 and 18 January 1942
    Death Place: Feodosia

Gefallen: Genickschuß Ermordung durch die Russen (Killed in action: Shot in the back of the neck. Murdered by the Russians)

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.  
    Last edited by Willmore; 11-02-2022 at 04:05 PM.

Quote by TWS View Post
    From Wikipedia because that was a handy source that I could cut and paste here: The Massacre of Feodosia refers to the killing of 150–160 wounded members of the Wehrmacht by soldiers of the Red Army, between 29 December 1941 and 1 January 1942 in the harbor city of Feodosia on the Crimean peninsula. On 3 November, the city was captured by elements of the German 46th and 170th Infantry Divisions. On 28 December, Soviet marine troops and regular infantry landed on the beach of Feodosia and recaptured the city. On 18 January 1942, the Germans were able to reconquer Feodosia. "They found that around 150 wounded German military personnel had been murdered. Wounded soldiers had been thrown out of the windows of the hospital to make room for Russian wounded, then water was poured on the heavily wounded soldiers who were then left to freeze. On the beach in front of the field hospital, piles of bodies were found where they were thrown from a wall several metres high, after being beaten and mutilated, their bodies left in the surf so that the sea water froze and covered them with a sheet of ice. Some of the dead bodies showed severe signs of mutilation." In some cases their genitals were cut off. Twelve German soldiers survived the massacre hidden in cellars. Their testimony before the German Wehrmacht-investigating authority confirmed the number: 160 wounded German soldiers had been murdered.

I have in my collection a small grouping related to one of those wounded German soldiers who were murdered in this massacre.

A few years ago, I saw this grouping offered for sale and the seller did not disclose its significance. In fact, I believe the seller did not even know. I have studied accounts of the Crimean campaign and knew about the massacre at the German field hospital in Feodosia. Therefore, as I read the letter from the company leader to Fröschl’s mother, I was able to put the pieces together and realize what this small grouping signified. Alois Fröschl was one of the approximately 160 wounded German soldiers massacred at Kriegslazarett Feodosia!

Attachment 1617426Attachment 1617427Attachment 1617428Attachment 1617429Attachment 1617430Attachment 1617431Attachment 1617432Attachment 1617433Attachment 1617434Attachment 1617435

- - ------- - -

The letter written by company leader Albert Göhring to Frau Fröschl is the key linking Alois to this tragic event. The fact that Göhring is a mere Leutnant, not a Hauptmann or even an Oberleutnant, and in charge of an infantry company is testament to the high casualties the 11th Armee suffered taking the Crimean peninsula. Summarized and loosely translated, the letter conveys as follows:
    Very honored Mrs. Fröschl, I received the sad report from the command of Feldpost number 42320 (probably Sanitäts-Kompanie 715) that your son Alois, our dear comrade Gefreiter Fröschl, met a hero’s death at the hands of the Russians during their recapture of Feodosia. On the 8th of November 1941 during the advance on Kertsch your son was severely wounded by an airplane bomb. He lost his left hand. He immediately received medical attention and your son took the loss with great bravery in the knowledge that for his loved ones at home he had done his best. After the ambulance was on the scene I said my farewell to him and he seemed quite brave. He was brought to the field hospital in Feodosia and I received news that his wounds were not life-threatening.
    There he died a hero’s death as the Russians reoccupied Feodosia on 29 December 1941. The exact date of his death is not determined as the fight raged for days. I’m assuming his date of death was the 29th of December. Our regiment was not there, because at the beginning of December we had already marched to a new action in Melitopol. Alois was put to bed for his final rest by unit Feldpost Nr. 42320 (again, likely Sanitäts-Kompanie 715).
    His personal belongings and the money (Reichsmark 65.00) that he had in the company trains have been sent. Of the belongings that he had on his person, like his letter pouch, wallet, etc. those were not found after our troops reconquered Feodosia in January. I had been worried about him for a long time, as I had not received any news from him.
    I lament with you the tragic fate of your dear son and send you my deepest condolences. Gefreiter Alois Fröschl remains in our eternal memory as a good, brave comrade.
    Yours, Albert Göhring
    A terrible story and one that puts into context the moralising by the Soviet authorities over atrocities perpetrated against their personnel. It shines a bright light indeed on the maxim "two wrongs don't make a right".

Without any intention of provoking political comment but considering current events I find it really ironic that Feodosia is in Ukraine.

Thanks for highlighting this barbaric episode.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

TWS
    ?

Will, thank-you very much for the additional research and insight. The fate of Ludwig Pfenning is also very sad.

While we may never know for sure, my guess is that Pfenning was also a patient in the hospital. By the time of the Red Army's amphibious landing at Feodosia, the able-bodied members of IR 170 were already circa. 300 km away in the area around Melitopol. The 73. ID had left the Crimea and was actually transferred from 11. Armee to 1. Panzer Armee.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Very interesting post! I was linked to your post a few days ago. I purchased a death card and found out after the fact he too was one of the victims of the massacre of Feodosia.

Hello friends.
    Just to illustrate this story.....

Hello Todd and other friends, looking for photographs of German war cemeteries for one of my threads, I found these three images of the German cemetery in Feodosia, at the foot of a unique building that is currently preserved, the Villa Stamboli.

The unique Moorish-style building is preserved today, it is called Vila Stamboli (a private mansion built in 1914)

Regards
    Santi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2