Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.

Article about: From Wikipedia because that was a handy source that I could cut and paste here: The Massacre of Feodosia refers to the killing of 150–160 wounded members of the Wehrmacht by soldiers of th

TWS
    ?

Default A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.

From Wikipedia because that was a handy source that I could cut and paste here: The Massacre of Feodosia refers to the killing of 150–160 wounded members of the Wehrmacht by soldiers of the Red Army, between 29 December 1941 and 1 January 1942 in the harbor city of Feodosia on the Crimean peninsula. On 3 November, the city was captured by elements of the German 46th and 170th Infantry Divisions. On 28 December, Soviet marine troops and regular infantry landed on the beach of Feodosia and recaptured the city. On 18 January 1942, the Germans were able to reconquer Feodosia. "They found that around 150 wounded German military personnel had been murdered. Wounded soldiers had been thrown out of the windows of the hospital to make room for Russian wounded, then water was poured on the heavily wounded soldiers who were then left to freeze. On the beach in front of the field hospital, piles of bodies were found where they were thrown from a wall several metres high, after being beaten and mutilated, their bodies left in the surf so that the sea water froze and covered them with a sheet of ice. Some of the dead bodies showed severe signs of mutilation." In some cases their genitals were cut off. Twelve German soldiers survived the massacre hidden in cellars. Their testimony before the German Wehrmacht-investigating authority confirmed the number: 160 wounded German soldiers had been murdered.

I have in my collection a small grouping related to one of those wounded German soldiers who were murdered in this massacre.

A few years ago, I saw this grouping offered for sale and the seller did not disclose its significance. In fact, I believe the seller did not even know. I have studied accounts of the Crimean campaign and knew about the massacre at the German field hospital in Feodosia. Therefore, as I read the letter from the company leader to Fröschl’s mother, I was able to put the pieces together and realize what this small grouping signified. Alois Fröschl was one of the approximately 160 wounded German soldiers massacred at Kriegslazarett Feodosia!

A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.

- - ------- - -

The letter written by company leader Albert Göhring to Frau Fröschl is the key linking Alois to this tragic event. The fact that Göhring is a mere Leutnant, not a Hauptmann or even an Oberleutnant, and in charge of an infantry company is testament to the high casualties the 11th Armee suffered taking the Crimean peninsula. Summarized and loosely translated, the letter conveys as follows:
    Very honored Mrs. Fröschl, I received the sad report from the command of Feldpost number 42320 (probably Sanitäts-Kompanie 715) that your son Alois, our dear comrade Gefreiter Fröschl, met a hero’s death at the hands of the Russians during their recapture of Feodosia. On the 8th of November 1941 during the advance on Kertsch your son was severely wounded by an airplane bomb. He lost his left hand. He immediately received medical attention and your son took the loss with great bravery in the knowledge that for his loved ones at home he had done his best. After the ambulance was on the scene I said my farewell to him and he seemed quite brave. He was brought to the field hospital in Feodosia and I received news that his wounds were not life-threatening.
    There he died a hero’s death as the Russians reoccupied Feodosia on 29 December 1941. The exact date of his death is not determined as the fight raged for days. I’m assuming his date of death was the 29th of December. Our regiment was not there, because at the beginning of December we had already marched to a new action in Melitopol. Alois was put to bed for his final rest by unit Feldpost Nr. 42320 (again, likely Sanitäts-Kompanie 715).
    His personal belongings and the money (Reichsmark 65.00) that he had in the company trains have been sent. Of the belongings that he had on his person, like his letter pouch, wallet, etc. those were not found after our troops reconquered Feodosia in January. I had been worried about him for a long time, as I had not received any news from him.
    I lament with you the tragic fate of your dear son and send you my deepest condolences. Gefreiter Alois Fröschl remains in our eternal memory as a good, brave comrade.
    Yours, Albert Göhring
    Last edited by TWS; 11-01-2022 at 09:13 PM.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.
    P
    Many

?

A remarkable set indeed, Todd, and a moving record of such a tragic and cruel episode.
    It is certainly in the right collection now.
    All the best,
    Rob

What an amazing (and sad) story you've uncovered for everyone, Todd. Thank you very much.
    Stories like these and many others we have read about, make us reflect on the tragic fate of the wounded, when the hasty retreat or the evacuation of hospitals in the face of the enemy offensive happen...

Regards
    Santi

Hi Todd and mates.
    I just found this Death card. Hope this can help

A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.

Regards
    Santi
    Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 11-01-2022 at 02:01 PM.

Hi Todd.

Thank you for sharing this very poignant and historically important group with us.

I learnt about this battle while researching a death card to a German soldier who was killed during the fighting in Feodosia. If you have a look at the link below there is some additional information about the Kerch-Feodosia operation.

Post #663 and 664 -
    Post your death notices

Kind regards,

Will.
    Last edited by Willmore; 11-01-2022 at 12:52 PM.

Hi Santi.

Great find and it does help.

Name: Alois Fröschl
    Date of birth: 14.04.1910
    Place of birth: Fichtheim
    Death/missing date: 18.01.1942
    Death/missing place: Ortslazarette Feodosia
    Service rank: Gefreiter

Alois Fröschl is buried in the military cemetery in Sewastopol - Gontscharnoje (Ukraine)
    During the re-interment activities in his original burial location, it was not possible to identify him without any trace of doubt, so he has been buried as an "unknown soldier" in the cemetery Sewastopol - Gontscharnoje.
    Endgrablage: Block 6 - Unter den Unbekannten.

Here are three casualty cards for him. The details tie in with the information contained in the letter - loss of left hand, treatment by Sanitäts-Kompanie 715 and the uncertainty of when he died.

Zwischen 29.12.1941 und 18.1.1942
    Verwundet: 8.11.1941
    Verstorben: Bomben Splitter Linke Unterarm (Amputation)

(Death) Between 29.12.1941 and 18.1.1941
    Wounded: 8.11.1942
    Deceased: Bomb splinter Left forearm (Amputation)

Kind regards

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.   A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.  

A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.   A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.  

A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.   A poignant grouping that tells a tragic story.  

Last edited by Willmore; 11-02-2022 at 12:11 AM.

Fascinating & very sad story, thank you for posting Todd & to everyone's response.
    Regards
    Paul

TWS
    ?

Thanks to all who read my post and especially to those who contributed. It took me a bit of time to type out my translation of the Kompanie-Führer's letter.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

MAP
    ?

Quote by Kohima View Post
    A remarkable set indeed, Todd, and a moving record of such a tragic and cruel episode.
    It is certainly in the right collection now.
    All the best,
    Rob
    Todd,

I saw this earlier and didn't get a chance to reply. In the meantime, I think Rob sums it up well: "a moving record of such a tragic and cruel episode"

A nice but sad piece of history.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

I want to thank Will for digging up and posting the casualty cards. It's very interesting to see that those somewhat "whitewash" Alois' fate. They list the cause of death as a bomb splinter, but there are hints such as the date range versus an exact date given for his death. His real fate, along with the fascinating backstory of how he came to be in the hospital is revealed by the acting company leader's (Stellvertretender Kompanie-Führer) letter to Alois' mother. Had that letter not survived all these many years, we would not know the real story.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast